Jan's Dry Rub?

Started by ChubbyBadnews, January 09, 2013, 07:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChubbyBadnews

I have to say I am quite excited at the thoughts of trying this.

There is just a couple of questions, if you dont mind?

Just so you know im in Ireland and am stuck on a few ingrediants

'' Lawry's seasoned salt'' Is only an american product, and Can someone explain what is the seasoning used in the salt
The ''dry mustard'', I take it thats mustard powder (sounds like such a silly question as I type it)
Also the Lemon Pepper, I have never heard of it over here.

I really want to get this as close to the original as possable so...

If it is not too much trouble would someone mind giving me brand names on the above items so I can look into getting the products shipped to Ireland.

Once again, thanks for your help :)

Barry
All hail the pig... hom nom nom

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

ChubbyBadnews

Thank you Gus!

Would still like to get some commonly used brand names. Not being lazy just really want to try get as authentic as possable.

I will also be working on my own wet marinade and dry rub recipes in the coming months.
Looking forward to sharing

GusRobin

Brand names:
Lawry's is the brand for the seasoned salt

I use "Publix" brand ground mustard. (Publix is a local supermarket). You basically can use any brand, I get whatever is the cheapest.
I have "McCormick" lemon pepper. Again I just get whatever is the cheapest.
Hope that helps.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

ChubbyBadnews

Totally helps, Gus! Nice one fella ;)

Trying to source companies that ship into Ireland is proving to be a pain in my backside!

Ideally I would like to bulk up on some store bought rubs and some homemade ones, same goes for sauces.

You would not believe how hungry I have made myself over the last few hours. Jesus, its nearly 4am.

Night folks

GusRobin

Here is a company that says it ships internationally. What it costs, I don't know.
www.penzeys.com/

KyNola

Chubby,
My friend Gus has set you straight on the brand names.  The dry mustard that I use is Colman's.  Colman's Dry Mustard is an English product so I would think you would be able to find it.

Gus also gave you a great source with Penzey's.  They are top notch.

Let me know if I can assist.  I happen to know Jan of Jan's Dry Rub.  I've been married to her for a little over 38 years. ;D

Quarlow

Hey chubby, if you have any trouble getting something just send me a PM and I will find it and ship it to you.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Hopefully Manxman will see your thread or PM him. He found a site that sold American brand barbecue sauces. I don't know if they also sell American brand spices and seasonings; I didn't look around that site.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ExpatCanadian

Hey Chubby...  (sorry, couldn't resist)....  I feel your pain, I too have trouble sourcing American ingredients over this side of the pond, but I am Canadian, so I tend to stock up when I'm home a few times a year.  However, a few things CAN be bought over year, and Lawry's is one of them....  there is a company that sells it via Amazon UK...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004I6B2C2

They make a Lemon Pepper as well, sold from the same source:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0005ZUY2O

Also...  as KyNola said, Colemans is the dry mustard to use in Jan's Rub and he'd know  ;)

As far as other American brand stuff, this is my favourite:

http://www.americansweets.co.uk

Also...  almost forgot... lots of brine/rub recipes call for Kosher salt, which I've also found quite difficult to find over here.  Many use a brand called Diamond Crystal which can also be found on Amazon sometimes, but make sure it specifies Diamond Crystal in the recipe or you need to convert to weight as volume for volume it's less dense than other brands:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0035Y1IBS

Good luck.

Habanero Smoker

This is something I just came across; Maldon Sea Salt measures the same as Diamond Crystal salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ChubbyBadnews

THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!!!!!

I love this place :)

Rushing out the door here but cant wait to investigate all the above.

Will be posting some pics of our first venture in the DBS along with some of my own takes on BBQ sauce and an indian style dry rub for lamb that is currently marinating for two days in the fridge in my brothers house... We smoke tomorrow

Can't wait!!

Excited Irish man.

PS.. A huge thanks to Patrick (Squirtthecat) for his uber kind offer to send me some of Jans rub in the post.. I mean, what a guy! :)

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 10, 2013, 12:57:33 PM
This is something I just came across; Maldon Sea Salt measures the same as Diamond Crystal salt.

Hab, where'd you find that info?  I've got both in my kitchen at the moment, so I will do a volume:weight comparison for each and post back. The flake size/shape is fairly different between the 2 so I would be surprised if they are that close.

The other factor of course is cost...  Maldon Sea Salt is a premium product even over here where it is produced. Not sure if you've seen it on your shelves in the US...  but every so often I come across it in a deli or something in Canada and it's SERIOUSLY expensive for salt....  in fact, I was collecting the Christmas turkey from a local place in Steveston, BC just before Christmas and saw these little tins and nearly blew a gasket at the cost....  they were $7.50.  But you know what???  I saw at least 3 people buy them!!!

http://amzn.com/B008X7EEPO

Habanero Smoker

Its in one of my new cookbooks; "The Science of Good Cooking", pg. 113, published by Cook's Illustrated.

In the chart, for weight it has Maldon weighing 3.55g per U.S. teaspoons, and Diamond Crystal at 3.60g. For volume it uses the same measurement for both; 2 teaspoons equals 1 teaspoon of table salt. They have other salts listed, but Maldon's is the only one that equals Diamond Crystal, the others are a little denser.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

ExpatCanadian

Well, I stand (mostly) corrected.  Just did a little comparison with a 1/2 cup volume.  They do come out reasonably similar, enough that it probably wouldn't hurt to directly substitute them (except in the wallet  :))

1/2 cup of Diamond Crystal came in at 79g.
1/2 cup of Maldons came in at 69g.

Some pics:

Diamond Crystal on the left, Maldon on the right:

1/2 cup of Diamond Crystal:

1/2 cup of Maldon:

Anyway...  now that I've totally hijacked this thread...  I'll apologise and move on!! Sorry ChubbyBadNews!  Good luck in your endeavors!