Smoked Pineapple Chicken

Started by Oldman, April 21, 2006, 07:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

I had at one time a recipe for Smoked Pineapple Chicken. However, when my Ex left many of my recipes got gone. I would like to try and recreate this one again.

From my old memory I used the following but I don't remember everything.

Whole Chicken
Water
Dry Vermouth
Pineapple Juice
Teriyaki sauce
Soy sauce
Fresh Ginger (?)

It seems to me I remember or at least I think I do the following:

2 parts Pineapple Juice
1/4 part cold water
1/4 part Dry Vermouth
1/8 part Teriyaki sauce
Soy sauce to be used as salt--to taste 
I think I used some Fresh Ginger but not a lot
1/8 tsp MSG (?)

I don't remember how long I marinated the chicken, but the flavoring was through out. I remember messing it up one time with to much Teriyaki sauce. Another time with way to much ginger.  I'm not sure what other items I added. I smoked the bird in those days in a side box unit--oak wood. I think it was a fairly hot smoke. It also seems to me that the trick was to thin down the pineapple juice some, and none of the other items should be over powering in any area, but rather a very slight enhancement to the pineapple flavoring.

I don't have time this weekend to mess around with this but I will make time by next weekend.

EDIT: Anyone have any suggestions? I'm all ears.  :D
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

IKnowWood

Olds

I have done something similar to this with Pork in the past. 

what I woudl try with chicken parts as a Marinade is:

1 small can to 2 cups Pineapple juice
3 Tbs of Cold Water
2 Tbs Dry Vermouth
1 Tbs Gin
1 Tbs Teriyaki Sauce
2 ts Low Sodium soy sauce
2 Ts shredded Ginger

That would be it.  Place in bag and Marinade for 4 to 8 hours only.  Or just overnight.  Then remove and allow to air dry for another 4 to 8 hours then smoke to done.

This may work just fine for a whole chicken also.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

nsxbill

Olds,

Short of restoring your memory via hypnosis, etc, do you have a friend that you have you continue to have contact with that also has maintained contact with the ex-wife?  Maybe they could ask her for the recipe.  There is no recipe that is worth making your current sweetie angry, but as an alternative to guessing, it might be a way to go.

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

Some time ago a member named angelo posted a recipe for chicken thighs. He did not give accurate measurement on some ingredients, so I reworked the recipe. In your recipe, for the ginger I would add approximately a quarter size 1 inch long piece grated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Quote from: nsxbill on April 21, 2006, 08:32:18 PM
Olds,

Short of restoring your memory via hypnosis, etc, do you have a friend that you have you continue to have contact with that also has maintained contact with the ex-wife?  Maybe they could ask her for the recipe.  There is no recipe that is worth making your current sweetie angry, but as an alternative to guessing, it might be a way to go.

Bill
Bill the problem is not my wife or my Ex wife. It is my Ex's husband. He is a real drunk. He is her first husband and would beat her if I called her. When we split it was under great terms. No hard feelings. Just the understanding that we had made a mistake. Every few years she will call to say hello and has spoken with Susan a few times. All is good between the three of us. It's just that pecker-head is the problem.  No recipe is worth taking the chance with him. I know as 28 years back he challenged me. It came down to pistols and shot guns. After that night he never gave me a hard time again. However, I know he would hurt her if anyone called.  Good suggestion Bill but I don't see it working.

Quote2 ts Low Sodium soy sauce
IKnowWood, this is interesting as the only reason I used the soy was for the salt to taste.

QuoteIn your recipe, for the ginger I would add approximately a quarter size 1 inch long piece grated.
OK Habanero Smoker I will try this amount.

Also the more I have slept on this I think I use to Marinate it a good 20 hours or so as it was a whole skin on chicken.  Next I do think I added a little MSN to kick up the bacteria needed to speed up the process that allows for a full even flavoring.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I was rereading my earlier post. All I can say is that I should not post that early in the morning while I am sick.

The amount of ginger is correct. What I was trying to say is that the liquid amounts in both recipes are about the same, and when I used that much ginger it seemed to be the correct amount.

In angelo's recipe, it is a brine, and I only brined dark meat for 8 hours, and everything came out fine. The thing with using ginger, it has an enzyme in it that will break down the cell walls of protein, and your meat will get "mushy" if you marinade it too long. I'm not sure how long I would marinade a whole chicken. The white meat is more delicate then dark.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Been there and done that one olds. Ann doesn't have a problem with the ex wife but her sig other is jerk from the get go. Hope you figure this recipe out. Sure sounds good.

Oldman

Well this weekend is out... maybe next weekend...  :'(

iceman

Dang Olds, your working WAAAAAY to hard. Take a day or two off or the boss lady is going to womp on you big time. Ann said she's going to come down there and give you a WHAT FOR if you don't shape up. ::) ;D :D ;)