A little about me and a couple of ?? at the end about hanging sausage to smoke

Started by Dina, January 14, 2013, 06:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dina

Hi

I am Dina and I am thrilled to be here. I work full time and play on the weekends. Happily married with two adult kids.  I am here to learn. It looks like there is a lot of experience here and that I came to the right place.

We bought an Original Bradley on Saturday and I smoked a quartered chicken on Sunday and also two pans of baked beans. I did the beans in two pans because I did not want to overload the rack(s). I was not sure how strong the shelves are.  My husband and daughter loved the chicken and baked beans.  I thought the baked beans were amazing! The beans were in there a couple of hours only. The chicken was juicy but a little too smokey for me. I smoked the chicken for 5 hours. I now know I should have turned of the smoke at half way through.

This recipe called for me to keep mopping it every hour. Next time I will marinate it or inject it and not mop it and will be able to keep the door closed.  Our main reason for purchase was to process our own venison link sausage and summer sausage. We hope to do some of this next weekend weather permitting.  We like to process our own venison, mainly for quality control.

I live in Sunny Florida.  The weather was good with a light breeze about 75 degrees.  I had to keep the burner control wide open because even at that setting it took 45 minutes to get back to 220 degrees after each mopping. It never went over 220.

Sooo as you can see I need to learn a LOT. 

I have been looking for a way to hang the sausage in the smoker.  Last night I saw some adaptations like a stainless or aluminum square tube resting on the shelf brackets but can't find it.  (In the future I will try to save the goodies on here to favorites.

Could someone post a link for me? Do I need to hang Summer Sausage in the smoker or will lay on the rack be fine?   Thanks for your help and suggestions.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Dina on January 14, 2013, 06:32:55 PM
Hi

I am Dina and I am thrilled to be here. I work full time and play on the weekends. Happily married with two adult kids.  I am here to learn. It looks like there is a lot of experience here and that I came to the right place.

We bought an Original Bradley on Saturday and I smoked a quartered chicken on Sunday and also two pans of baked beans. I did the beans in two pans because I did not want to overload the rack(s). I was not sure how strong the shelves are.  My husband and daughter loved the chicken and baked beans.  I thought the baked beans were amazing! The beans were in there a couple of hours only. The chicken was juicy but a little too smokey for me. I smoked the chicken for 5 hours. I now know I should have turned of the smoke at half way through.

This recipe called for me to keep mopping it every hour. Next time I will marinate it or inject it and not mop it and will be able to keep the door closed.  Our main reason for purchase was to process our own venison link sausage and summer sausage. We hope to do some of this next weekend weather permitting.  We like to process our own venison, mainly for quality control.

I live in Sunny Florida.  The weather was good with a light breeze about 75 degrees.  I had to keep the burner control wide open because even at that setting it took 45 minutes to get back to 220 degrees after each mopping. It never went over 220.

Sooo as you can see I need to learn a LOT. 

I have been looking for a way to hang the sausage in the smoker.  Last night I saw some adaptations like a stainless or aluminum square tube resting on the shelf brackets but can't find it.  (In the future I will try to save the goodies on here to favorites.

Could someone post a link for me? Do I need to hang Summer Sausage in the smoker or will lay on the rack be fine?   Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Stainless Steel bars. You will need to cut it to fit.

http://www.butcher-packer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=31_208&products_id=746

GusRobin

Welcome
Few things:
1) The Bradley can be slow on heat recovery. So cut down on opening the door  ;D
2) Keep the vent open, especially with poultry otherwise moisture is retained and hinders temp rising
3) usually 3 -4 hrs of smoke is sufficient but depends on individual taste and type of puck
4) Recipe site:
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Dina

Awesome thank you both!!  I plan to order the bar. I love the recipes.  Ha...I was so torn between another brand and the Bradley mainly because a fellow has written two cookbooks for the other one.  My dh liked that auto feed on the Bradley.  I am loving the free recipe section and all this info on this site!!!

My grandmother had a small farm and had a smoke house you could walk into.  All us kids were forbidden to go in the smokehouse. I am betting the Bradley does just as well if not a better job.

BTW...I am amazed this site could get any spam with all the protection before posting.  :o

Gafala

I have two sets of Bradley Sausage Hooks (Set of 4), I hang 10 to 12 Sausages when I do them.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Dina on January 14, 2013, 07:39:46 PM
Awesome thank you both!!  I plan to order the bar. I love the recipes.  Ha...I was so torn between another brand and the Bradley mainly because a fellow has written two cookbooks for the other one.  My dh liked that auto feed on the Bradley.  I am loving the free recipe section and all this info on this site!!!

My grandmother had a small farm and had a smoke house you could walk into.  All us kids were forbidden to go in the smokehouse. I am betting the Bradley does just as well if not a better job.

BTW...I am amazed this site could get any spam with all the protection before posting.  :o

We have a pretty good system but still get a spammer every now and then.

Your better off with the SS bar or even a wooden dowel for hanging sausages. Not saying you cant use the racks even. I really dont use the Bradley sausage hooks, one problem is you gotta hang the same amount of weight on both hooks at the same time or it will tip and thats not good, besides i dont like my sausages being that close together but this is just my opinion.

Gafala

I have found that if you use a rack and the Bradley hooks you can tie the hook to the rack and they don't tip.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard you should be able to find one or two sausage recipes in our Sausage Making area on the home page.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

buttburner

I dont hang the sausage. I use the racks

I have found it cooks more even since the sausage is not hanging down near the burner

Ketch22

Hi Dina
I use S Hooks on the bradley racks they work well .I pinched one side of the Hooks so they don't fall. I heat up a good side red brick and rap it in tin foil this works well to. You can use two if you have room.

Good luck and have fun. The members on here are the BEST. :)

Tenpoint5

Since everyone is telling how they hang or place their sausage in the Bradley. Here is how I do it. Works pretty slick too!!

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Dina

This is a great board...thank you for making me feel very welcome! Thanks too for the advice...I see I have a lot of options. :)

Has anyone ever smoked a Red Bass?  I have seen recipes for Halibut/fluke, mullet and Salmon. (Dh caught a nice Red today.)

NePaSmoKer

This is how I hang my sasuages  100% better and i dont care what the others say.