Controling the smoke

Started by ejp1168, January 15, 2013, 01:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ejp1168

I have a question about smoke. Is their a way to control how much smoke. I have read that a good smoke should be a very lite blue color. The Bradley smoker puts out a heavy smoke. I am just wondering if their is something i can do to make it liter like soak bucks in water for a little while or something else. I have four rack Bradley smoker. Not digital controlled

Waltz

You can alter the amount of smoke flavour transferred to whatever you are smoking by varying the amount of time you have the puck burner on for ( the number of pucks you burn) and the type of puck, alder, maple, oak, mesquite or whatever. I am sure someone will have experimented with this and may comment later but as far as I know you get what the burner puts out.

beefmann

another way is to run the top vent  wise open all the time  which allows more air flow and lets the smoke out faster,,, also look at all the pucks available... misquete and hickory are the strongest for smoke flavor,,,, alder  apple cherry are  lighter  so you  can also  use a  lighter smoking wood to achieve the same thing.. also  use fewer pucks

ejp1168

Thanks for the answer. I had made ribs over the weekend and used cherry flavor pucks. Some responses i got were the smoke was to heavy. I smoked the ribs for 2 hours. Maybe i should try 1.5 Hours next time. ;D

ejp1168

Also forgot to add that i had top vent fully open also.

OU812

Maybe try a different kinda puck,,,,like Pecan for the same 2 hr and see if that hits it

I my self dont like the flavor Cherry gives the meat

KyNola

DON'T try to soak the pucks in water.  The pucks will fall apart.

mikecorn.1

Ditto! You will end up with wood chips when they get wet.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Alanfromwis

I have expirmented with solid wood homemade pucks. First from an apple tree that blew down in my back yard. Found that they were time consuming to make, but also found they had less smoke. Could adjust the mount of smoke by drilling each puck with about 5 holes ( more for denser wood like oak & hard maple) with a 7/16" wood bit 1/2 way through. Then tried some silver maple & also some hard maple. Silver or soft maple was less dense than hard maple, & drilling same as apple. Hard maple required more drilling. Wood pucks worked fine in SG, but need to be right dimensions. Requires some time to make pucks, but being retired have some time to do so.
  Alan
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

viper125

Seems youd end up with the tar back we try to avoid. If you like them. Try a hole saw in a drill or drill press the just drill your smaller ones. Should be quick enough. Some are adjustable to lots of sizes. Just split a board with and then plane to thickness.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Alanfromwis

Seems youd end up with the tar back we try to avoid. If you like them. Try a hole saw in a drill or drill press the just drill your smaller ones. Should be quick enough. Some are adjustable to lots of sizes. Just split a board with and then plane to thickness.

I'm sure that would work with a board. I was using the trunk of a blow down that was about 4" at big end to about 2 1/8 at small end, so the grain is running with the thickness of puck. The soft maple was a trimmed branch from my back yard. Trimmed to 2 3/16" on table saw, then used miter saw to cut each puck 1/2" thick.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday