smoking sausage

Started by hoover, January 15, 2013, 03:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoover

hello, i'm going to try and smoke 10lbs of venision mixed w/ pork.  do i have to hang my sausage or can i put about 3 chubbs per rack for a total of 12 chubbs and lay them down......how long and how warm should i cook these......i'm afraid if i hang them the lower end will get done faster......

any help would be great

thx

beefmann

im just getting into making sausage as well, i would lay then  down  with enough room between them for air movement and go from there ,,, also monitor the temp of the lowest rack until the  sausage is  done

do you  have a  fan in your  smoker?
if not  rotate the  racks  top to bottom and front to back once  every  hour and half or so to cook evenly

drano

Hoover,

Yep, you can lay them on the racks if you'd like--make sure you stuff them the correct length so the ends don't touch the smoker walls.
What casings did you use?  Ring, or straight?  What diameter? 
I've done 10 lb in 30mm casings in about 7 hours, with the factory 500 watt element. 
I'm switching to a 900 watt finned heat element, so future smokes should go faster. 
Put sausage in smoker at 140 deg for an hour to dry the casings.
Then smoke for your desired time, and raise temp 10 deg every hour until you get to 170 deg cabinet temp. 
They're done when you hit 152-155 deg meat temp. 
Check the Sticky in the Sausage forum for more info, and of course, ask too!

NePaSmoKer

For years i have smoked sausages with my stock Bradley.

How you smoke your sausage is personal preference, hang or rack.

Know your equipment, your smoker, how much your smoker can take (lbs smoking) stall temps of the meat, temp of your smoker, outside weather conditions can affect smoke times and temps. Know what the IT of the sausage you are making, Sausages have various IT temps from 150 thru 160.