First brisket!

Started by jjmoney, January 15, 2013, 05:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmoney

So! Today I pulled some vac sealed leftover brisket out of the freezer. And:

- caramelized some onions
- fried up some chopped bacon.
- made some pickled onions (cut 2 baseball onions in 1/2" ring slices, broil for 8 or so minutes, let cool, separate rings, and add to 1/4c grapefruit juice and 2T each of orange juice and lemon or lime juice. I used 1/4c meyer lemon juice. Add 1 t salt, some pepper, some shredded garlic, and some oregano).
- cooked some rice
- manicured and chopped the brisket and added it to the onions with some beef stock, and added a handful of the bacon and heated.
- lined up some tortillas and salsa verde.

I had one with the pickled onions, and two with some homemade kimchi, and the kimchi ones were a little more explosive and spicy, so I liked them better.

Anyway:

I can't even really find words to explain how good these were. The brisket hash was so, so, so good. All the fixins gave it some zing, and the barbecue flavor of the brisket was unstoppable. These were easily the best tacos I have ever made, and it was so easy to make considering that all I did was fry onions and bacon and mix with the meat. So, so, so ridiculously good. I would sell these. Top shelf brisket.

SiFumar

CDN Smoker

Great post, a lot of good info.
Just trying to be a better Smoker

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

nyg60

Can someone help me.  What is FTC?  and does someone have the link to Pachangas brisket?  Thanks in advance.

OU812

Quote from: nyg60 on February 04, 2013, 01:23:36 PM
Can someone help me.  What is FTC?  and does someone have the link to Pachangas brisket?  Thanks in advance.

Foil Towel Cooler

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

I want to Party with Pachanga.

I'll bring my Salsa Verde.

..and Sweet bread.

Pachanga

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 04, 2013, 10:52:10 PM
I want to Party with Pachanga.

I'll bring my Salsa Verde.

..and Sweet bread.

CRC  - Drop by anytime.  As you know, Pachanga is a South Texas Mexican slang word meaning a wild rowdy fiesta (party) which usually involves barbeque, music, family (including the little ones and dogs), compadres and outdoor cooking; and there is usually one in the works at Casa Pachanga.

The Salsa Verde sounds great.  It is hard to beat a fine Verde and I am sure yours is Very Fine indeed as is all that sweet bread that I have seen posted over the years.  I've always said to myself, "that CRG can cook, run a knife, work a smoker, fire up an oven or build a cowboy chuckwagon campfire - not to mention he makes vittles in family reunion quantities."

Me - I may be slow but I sure do poor work.

Good to hear from you, Compadre,

Pachanga

dtjim

ive been reading about doing a brisket and i think i wanna try it soon. One recipe i saw on bradleys site said to let it sit in the fridge for two weeks and then smoke 16 to 24 hours and 4 hours ftc with no mention of using any kind of cure. I really dont know much about meat but am i missing something, is it safe to cook meat that long without a cure

jjmoney

Yes you are fine with not chemically curing brisket. You don't necessarily need to let it sit in the fridge for 2 weeks though.

The temperatures you need to cook with and cook the meat to are totally fine.

Tenpoint5

dtjim
Your going to be fine hot smokingthat brisket for the time specified. You will apply roughly 4 hours of smoke then let the brisket cruise at 225 degrees until you get to an IT of 185-200. The lower for a more slicable brisket and the later for a more tender brisket, not getting into the what temp is best thing. After you make couple and experiment on your own you will figure out the best temp for you

As for wet aging your brisket 2 weeks is a good starting point. I'll let habs get into the pros and cons on it. I like theflavor at 2 weeks, if I am going to wet age mine.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokeville

Packer vac-sealed whole briskets are available at Lococo's in Hamilton Ontario for $6.59/kg. That's the best price in some time so I picked one up to smoke on Wednesday. I always do a lot of fish so doing some real meat will be a treat.

My neighbour gave me a frozen pheasant yesterday so I also excited about that.

Rich

jjmoney

I just wanted to mention that I finally did get my hands on 50lb of blue corn from the good folks down in San Jon. It was pretty ridiculous on the shipping cost, but it made it.

I just wanted to quickly mention how insanely good the tortillas were. Perfect texture, good snap, good chew, and awesome flavor, puts Maseca to shame.

I haven't made tamales yet but they are on the list.

Thanks Pachanga.