Easy Crusty Bread

Started by SiFumar, January 18, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SiFumar

Today is chicken day. And most of you regulars know by now, the hubs is no fan of chicken.  So I always make something he likes to go with it.  Instead of posting the usual chicken pictures I thought I'd post what he considers the best part of the meal.  First the pictures.

This is going to be the ingredients(left water out of pic)

All mixed up

Cover with plastic wrap and let sit out on counter, about 14hrs here.  This is after sitting out overnight

Dumped out on counter while cast iron pot heating up.  Cover with plastic wrap

After 1/2hr in oven with lid on...going back for 15 more min lid off

Done

The tasting

Sorry forgot the pot...cheap one from Sams club...6.5QT.....DO NOT HAVE TO GREASE! Have also used a 5qt.  Have used a plain cast iron pot that was not enameled but well season.

Ok.. so are you ready for this easy recipe?

Crusty Bread

3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 3/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast(Rapid Rise works for me)
1 1/2 cups water

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt and yeast.  Add water and mix until a shaggy mixture forms.  Cover bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 12 - 18 hours.  Overnight works great. DO NOT REFRIGERATE! Heat oven to 450 degrees.  When the oven has reached 450 degrees place a cast iron pot with a lid in the oven and heat the pot for 30 minutes.  Meanwhile, pour dough onto a heavily floured surface and shape into a ball. Very sticky, flour hands. Cover with plastic wrap and let set while the pot is heating.  Remove hot pot from the oven and drop in the dough.  Cover and return to oven for 30 minutes.  After 30 minutes remove the lid and bake an additional 15 minutes.  Remove bread from oven and place on a cooling rack to cool.

Added notes:
I was in a hurry so didn't shape...just plopped in.  I added 1 diced jalapeno and about a cup of med cheddar shredded.  I always shred my own cheese so I don't know how pre shred works.  You can really add what you want.  One of our favorites is pecans and dried cherries.  Do not over do the added cheese...no more than 1 1/4 cup per batch.  This recipe can be doubled.  I hope I answered everything you might ask.

squirtthecat

Wow, nice!  Gotta steal this one...

Would it work with whole wheat flour as well?

OU812

That bread looks GREAT!!

How big of a pot did you use?

Ka Honu

I don't bake.  We try not to eat much bread.  And then you come up with an irresistible and apparently easy-enough-for-a-turtle-to-make recipe.  Right when SWMBO said, "Whatcha lookin' at?"  Thanks.  I'll be back after I go buy some yeast.

SiFumar

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 18, 2013, 12:39:26 PM

Wow, nice!  Gotta steal this one...

Would it work with whole wheat flour as well?

I've tried it with 1c whole wheat, 2c white flour.  Results were ok.  Whole wheat tends to make it a bit heavy, but not bad tasting.  Flour is cheap experiment!

mikecorn.1

Wow! That bread looks great. I'll take some with a Tom of butta!!
How would describe shaggy? Sorry :P

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

mikecorn.1

Let me interrupt here cause I know it's coming.
Not Scooby's friend ;D. 

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Keymaster

Awesome Job Sandy, Thats some Good lookin Bread. Thanks so much for the recipe!!!

OU812

Almost bought a pot like that,,,,,,,,almost,,,,,,,was concerned about the thingy on top melting

My dough is 10 hr old and lookin gooood, used smoked cheddar and smoked dried jalapenos  ;)

SiFumar

Quote from: OU812 on January 19, 2013, 06:44:34 AM
Almost bought a pot like that,,,,,,,,almost,,,,,,,was concerned about the thingy on top melting

My dough is 10 hr old and lookin gooood, used smoked cheddar and smoked dried jalapenos  ;)

You can always buy a stainless steel replacement knob.  :)  I bought the pot for under $10 after Christmas a few years back, wish I bought a couple.

Looking forward to seeing your results.  Sounds delish!

OU812

Quote from: SiFumar on January 19, 2013, 08:26:17 AM
Quote from: OU812 on January 19, 2013, 06:44:34 AM

You can always buy a stainless steel replacement knob.  :)  I bought the pot for under $10 after Christmas a few years back, wish I bought a couple.

Looking forward to seeing your results.  Sounds delish!

Game On!!

Big Red just got fired up,,,cookin this outdoors,,,,,,,,,,,,,,its a nice day  ;D

SiFumar

Looking forward to seeing how that turns out!

OldHickory

Thanks Sandy, recipe is coppied.  Will be watching for Curt's cook.
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

SouthernSmoked

WOW!! the bread looks awesome!

Thanks Sandy for posting this.......Headed to the kitchen now!
SouthernSmoked
WeQ4u - BBQ Team

KCBS CBJ
(2) - Stainless Steel 4 Rack's with Dual probe PID
1- Digital, 6 Rack
1-PBS
(2) Bradley Cold Smoke Attachment
(2) Backwoods Smokers
(1) Chicken Little

Daveo

I'll have to try that,it looks great.I made some Italian bread the other day in a clay baker and surprisingly the recipe(on the King Arthur site)called for letting the loaf rise in the baker and setting it in the cold oven before turning the oven on!It was fantastic bread with a great crust so I guess it works.I'll have to try it w/my cast iron dutch oven some time.