Easy Crusty Bread

Started by SiFumar, January 18, 2013, 12:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seb bot

Hey Saber, just wanted to give a belated thanks, I finally got around to trying again last weekend and had much better results.

Got a new/different pack of yeast just in case, and I put the dough in the oven with the light on to make sure it stayed a little warmer while rising... I also ended up adding a tiny bit more water as well, I as it seemed really dry when I was mixing it all together.
I am not really sure if the extra liquid was needed or not, as the dough was possibly not as firm as it should have been after it rose... :-\

Not sure which change made the biggest difference, but the dough definitely rose nicely, and the bread turned out great. I made it to go with some chili for dinner, so I added a good cup of pre-shred tex-mex and some diced fresh jalapenos and it was delicious.

Just wondering, how long do you knead the dough before you cover and pre-heat the oven and what do you mean by better loaf? More consistent/smaller air pockets, better flavour or ? ???
I'd never made bread prior to trying this recipe, so I don't have a lot of knowledge/experience to go on at this point, though I did watch the video link that was posted earlier, lol.

Next time I make it I will use the same yeast as this time, and put it in the oven with the light on again to reduce the variables, and hopefully I will start to get a better feel for what I am doing.

p.s. Thanks to SiFumar for posting the recipe, and also to the others who contributed pics and tips, it definitely made me feel like giving it a go myself. As always, this is a great forum! :)

Saber 4

Glad it worked out for you, my kneading now consists of flipping the dough with a scraper like he used in the video about 3-4 times and ending up with it shaped like a log so it fits in my long cloche. By better loaf I'm talking about getting a taller more even loaf after it finishes, I used to end up with a thin end and a little bit thicker end and now I get a taller loaf that is a more consistent height. Hope that helps, keep us posted on your results, pictures help and let me know if you have any more questions.

WoodlawnSmoker

I stumbled on this thread when it rose to the top earlier this month and knew I just had to try this bread.  We stuck with the jalapenos and smoked cheddar recipe.  Really good stuff, will make this again and again, the possibilities are endless, especially during the summer garden season.  Haven't had the pleasure of corresponding with the original poster yet, but thanks so much for sharing.

Saber 4

KyNola

Well kids, I decided it was time for me to get back into bread baking and thought this would be a good one to get my feet back under me.  Today I am baking a loaf of tomato basil parmesan bread for Jan and a loaf of smoked cheddar and bacon bread for me.

Saber 4

Quote from: KyNola on February 14, 2014, 06:38:03 AM
Well kids, I decided it was time for me to get back into bread baking and thought this would be a good one to get my feet back under me.  Today I am baking a loaf of tomato basil parmesan bread for Jan and a loaf of smoked cheddar and bacon bread for me.

I bet they are going to be great, especially with all your home grown ingredient's.

Saber 4

Here's a loaf of crusty bread with pecan smoked Havarti/dill cheese I made today.

WoodlawnSmoker

Nice.  Is that a double-recipe loaf or just shaped longer?

Saber 4

Quote from: WoodlawnSmoker on February 20, 2014, 03:09:28 AM
Nice.  Is that a double-recipe loaf or just shaped longer?

It's a regular batch, I have a long stoneware cloche to get the longer loaf. I like to slice it up for sandwiches and this is easier than the round loaves to slice up evenly.

Smokesmore

Can someone pin this thread. Clearly a great recipe. Maybe move to the recipe section as well?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Snoopy

Smokesmore

Quote from: Snoopy on February 20, 2014, 06:56:05 PM
its on the recipe site, susanminor.org

Just out of curiosity. .. why are the two sites separate?

iceman

Quote from: Smokesmore on February 20, 2014, 07:03:48 PM
Quote from: Snoopy on February 20, 2014, 06:56:05 PM
its on the recipe site, susanminor.org

Just out of curiosity. .. why are the two sites separate?

Ray started the recipe site out of his own pocket so we could keep track of everyone's recipes. Nothing to do with the Bradley forum. Super nice of him to do so for all of us.

WoodlawnSmoker

Hey folks, hope everyone is well.  I haven't had internet for a couple of months so I've missed seeing all the tasty creations, need to catch up.

Just to show I haven't been slacking, here's a pic of a loaf of rosemary/cheddar I made today.  I figured I'd give this post a bump for any new folks that have come along as I know it got my juices going when I first saw it.  So good and so easy to make.

manfromplaid

that's a good looking loaf. just finished off the last two I made, smoked old chedder and smoked maple bacon mix. this is a great bread recipe.