Uber Noober - Temp Probe to buy?

Started by CaptnTony, January 21, 2013, 01:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CaptnTony

First, I'm sorry if this is a duplicate question, I have searched to forums for keywords like thermometer and temperature probe and have only found posts about best ways to implement them.  I haven't found anything about currently available products that folks would buy if they were in need.

I've been looking for, what I'd consider, a good probe for smoking in my new Bradley.   I've got the digital 6 rack model and plan on making pork bellies (bacon) hung with bacon hangers in middle, venison bacon (laying on racks), game (venison, antelope, elk etc) sticks/brats/sausage/???.  Right now, I've found a single probe unit that I'm leaning toward (Maverick ET75); but I've read A LOT of negative reviews on Amazon and other sites on the net.  Actually, I haven't found a single probe that has a rating over 3.5 stars out of 5.  I've got to believe there is something better than what I've been looking at.

I'm not looking at becoming a professional, and would like to keep the price of my first purchase under $100USD.  I am looking at cooking two 5lbs pork bellies this weekend...do I want two meat probes and an internal temp probe?  Do I need internal probes at the top AND bottom of the meat (since it will be hanging and the bottom will be about 1.5' closer to the heat source than the top)?

Thanks for any suggestions.  I appreciate the guidance.

Todd

GusRobin

I use the Maverick 732. It goes for around $60 ($59.99) at Amazon. You may want to try Yard and Pool and see what they are selling it for. There may be cheaper but this is the one I know and am satisfied with.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

KyNola

Quote from: GusRobin on January 21, 2013, 01:28:51 PM
I use the Maverick 732. It goes for around $60 ($59.99) at Amazon. You may want to try Yard and Pool and see what they are selling it for. There may be cheaper but this is the one I know and am satisfied with.
Ditto.  I use the Maverick ET-732 and am well pleased with it.  The ET-732 is a dual probe thermometer, one probe for the tower temp and one for the meat.  It has a wireless remote that transmits the data to a remote receiver so you can keep up with it.  Also has a number of different alarms you can set.  Check with www.yardandpool.com  They are really good folks, customer service is great and Bryan is a trusted member of this forum.

CaptnTony

Thank you.  Will do.

Appreciate the quick replies.

beefmann

pokermeister

You need to put high temp silicone on the part of the Maverick thermometer where the probe and wire meet, to keep moisture out. You can find it in automotive dept at Wal-Mart.
Life is short, eat the dessert first!

Gafala

I just finished some pork bellies, I have the Maverick ET-73 and I didn't use the food side just the smoker, as your realy only going to smoke your bellies not cook them.
Bradley 4 rack Digital, 900 watt, Auber PID
Bradley cold smoke adapter
Char-Griller Smoking Pro BBQ Smoker with rotisserie
Brinkman Bullet Smoker
Weber 24"
Custom Hard Cure Cabinet for Salami
One Auber Master Temp monitor and two remotes with probes, up to ten remotes can be used.

GusRobin

If you are going maverick, avoid the Et73 and go with the ET732. The 73 does not have that great of range. There was a mod that folks did that basically added a wire as an antenna. The 732 incorporates that in the form of a real antenna. It also has a feature that sounds an alarm if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter. When the 73 loses contact it just shows that last reading it had. So you are not sure if it is reading the temp or just stuck on the last reading prior to losing signal.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

NePaSmoKer

No dont use automotive grade sealant.

Use NFS Food grade sealant.

TedEbear

Quote from: pokermeister on January 23, 2013, 06:14:50 PM
You need to put high temp silicone on the part of the Maverick thermometer where the probe and wire meet, to keep moisture out. You can find it in automotive dept at Wal-Mart.

I must have missed this other other day.  Permatex high temp red RTV is food safe, according to the manufacturer.  Many of us have sealed our ET-732 probes with it.  I wouldn't use just any automotive high temp silicone on something that is going to be used around food.