My birthday wish list - What's missing?

Started by Austrian_Des, January 24, 2013, 06:04:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Austrian_Des

Hi All,

What seems like only a few days ago I was about to by the DBS, sit back and enjoy effortless smoked goodies - How little I know back then  :D

Having read lots here, I now think I want (need):

1 x Original Bradley Smoker
1 x Dual Probe PID (WSD-1203CPH) from Auberins

So what else would be good to get?

I'm not sure what the deal is with the Cold Smoke Adapter - Would I need one of these too or can I detach the smoke generator that comes with the OBS and install some piping?

I'm hoping to smoke sausages and cheese (and goodness knows what else!) - So would this setup be correct?

I'm sure these questions have been answered LOADS of times before but I couldn't find the answer with the search feature  :-[

Thanks!

Waltz

I find frogmats are very useful to prevent food sticking to the racks. I get by with the single probe PID.
I have the cold smoke adapter but don't use it much. If you plan to do much cold smoking then it may be worthwhile. It is possible to adapt the smoke generator for cold smoking without the Bradley attachment but there is a bit more to it than just fitting some piping. I am sure there are a few articles on this forum regarding how people have done that.

3rensho

Personally I think the cold smoke adapter is well over priced.  I use (and have used for years) a cardboard wine box and a piece of aluminum dryer hose.  Works a treat.  I also have the OBS and a single probe Auber.  Great combination.  Would get the dual probe today if I was in the market.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Waltz

I should have added to my earlier post that a digital thermometer with a probe you can stick into whatever you are cooking and read the internal temperature of the food from outside the smoker is also very useful to help judge when food is cooked. Like 3rensho if I was buying the PID now I would get the dual probe.

GusRobin

1) Remote thermometer (such as the maverick 732 or similar)
2) Bubba pucks ( 3 metal pucks)
3) Frog mats
4) 2nd element (You may want to play with the smoker to see if you really need it, some do, some don't)
5) Pair of insulated  rubber (cause I can't spell the real material) gloves
6) Cold smoke -you can buy one or make one. (if you make it you can make it the size you want. Simple box and some dryer ducting)
7) 9 X 13 baking pan (I use it to replace the water bowl. Can handle more water and therefore catch more grease and pucks.)
8)Adult beverages

All (except #8) are nice -to -haves and you can get along without any of them if there are budget constraints. But a good remote thermometer saves a lot of steps and is very handy.  I would get the dual probe PD with the hanging probe - the wall mount just gets in the way and lacks the flexibility to move around based upon your load.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Austrian_Des

Hey, thanks for such quick replies  :)

Frogmats are now on the list 8)

As I understand it the dual probe allows internal food temps to be measured as well as the "oven" temp - Are there other ways to use the dual probe PID?

I forgot to mention on my first post, should I be thinking about a fan? If so what's the accepted standard?

Thanks again!

Waltz

The dual probe PID will monitor the food IT as well as the oven. I was thinking of things I find useful but I have the single probe. If you get the dual probe then a remote thermometer would still be good to have but not so necessary. Apologies for misleading you.

KyNola

AD, I fully understand that I am going to be swimming upstream here but I will respectfully suggest that you delay purchasing PED's(performance enhancing devices) such as a PID, fan and a second element until you have gotten your Bradley and used it for a while to see what it can or can't do.  You may find that you simply don't need the PED's.  If you find that you do, so be it.  You can always order them later but if you find that you really don't need them then you don't have a bunch of money tied up on things sitting on a shelf.   

More importantly, if you choose to modify your Bradley before the warranty period expires, your warranty is immediately void.

Frogmats, bubba pucks and a dual probe remote wireless thermometer are accessories I would recommend.

Just some things and a different viewpoint for you to consider.  Either way, enjoy your new Bradley and if you have any questions, we're all here.

buttburner

Quote from: KyNola on January 24, 2013, 07:39:50 AM
AD, I fully understand that I am going to be swimming upstream here but I will respectfully suggest that you delay purchasing PED's(performance enhancing devices) such as a PID, fan and a second element until you have gotten your Bradley and used it for a while to see what it can or can't do.  You may find that you simply don't need the PED's.  If you find that you do, so be it.  You can always order them later but if you find that you really don't need them then you don't have a bunch of money tied up on things sitting on a shelf.   

More importantly, if you choose to modify your Bradley before the warranty period expires, your warranty is immediately void.

Frogmats, bubba pucks and a dual probe remote wireless thermometer are accessories I would recommend.

Just some things and a different viewpoint for you to consider.  Either way, enjoy your new Bradley and if you have any questions, we're all here.

I absolutley agree!! Use it as is and see how you like it. I had mine for a few years and it worked fine and then I started adding stuff on.

On the frog mats, they are fine. I use splatter screens from the dollar store instead. A LOT cheaper and work just fine. I cut the screen out of the hoop and shape it to fit.

Wildcat

Quote from: KyNola on January 24, 2013, 07:39:50 AM

Ditto
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Austrian_Des

Looks like there's some interesting points of view here.

I'm off to Munich tomorrow to pick up a smoker although which one remains to be seen!

I'll take the advise to try as is and go from there  ;)

Wish me luck  8)

Waltz

Austrian_Des

Hehe, I got the DBS (BDS) so probably won't be welcome in this section for much longer  :'(

Naturally I'm not allowed to open it until my B'Day, so no, it's not even been unwrapped yet!

News of the great unveiling will follow  8)

Waltz

One of the few times you wish you were a little older? :)