My BBQ sauce

Started by ChubbyBadnews, January 24, 2013, 04:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChubbyBadnews

Hey y'all :)

Would like to share a bbq sauce recipe I put together the other week. First attempt actually. Really like the finished product so haven't really tweaked it. But I will..

Thought ya might be interester or maybe not  ;)

1/2 Cup - Peanut Oil
1 heaped dessert sp - Onion Salt
2 heaped dessert sp - Garlic Powder
2 heaped dessert sp - Sweet Paprika
2 heaped dessert sp - Cracked Pepper
1 heaped dessert sp - Celery Salt
1 heaped dessert sp - Cayenne Pepper
1 table sp - Molasses
3/4 Cup - Light Brown Sugar
1 Cup honey
1 Cup -  Heinze Tomato Sauce
3/4 Cup - Apple Cider Vineger
1 Cup - Store bought BBQ sauce

Edit: As you can see it's quite a sticky sauce made for the indirect heat of the smoker. I dont know how long it would last over hot coals

I know I cheated with the Store bought sauce but it gives me that smokey flavour better than smoked paprika does, or should I say I prefere the flavour.

and

When I get the cold smoke attachment for my DBS I will be smoking some tomatoes with hickory, blending when finished and reducing to a paste. I will then try replace the shop bought sauce with the smoked tomato paste to give it the 100% homemade touch.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Anywho..

Just tought I'd share.

:)

All hail the pig... hom nom nom

Keymaster

Sounds Great, Gotta love a recipe with "heaping desert spoons " as a measure of volume ;) I've smoked tomatoes before so that may be a good way to get the smoke into your sauce. Thanks for sharing amigo.

ChubbyBadnews

Thats just how I roll.. lol

I find that when you give measurements in that form instead of weights people can be more willing to give it a go as they dont have to bother weighing stuff out.. thats just my opinion. Not very useful if your doing something on a bigger scale, this was just for a small batch.

Can't really get away with that with baking though. Scales would be needed

OU812

By "dessert sp" you mean that little spoon off to the side in the silver ware drawer?

If you want the smoke flavor theres this stuff called liquid smoke

Or you can smoke your onion salt, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, celery salt and cayenne pepper

I smoke fresh jalapeno and cayenne peppers till dry,,,,theyll last for ever when dried

Then you can add to things which ever way ya wont

Habanero Smoker

Looks like a good recipe to try. When you have a BBQ sauce high in sugar, apply it to the chicken 5  - 10 minutes before it is done. That will reduce the possibility of the sauce burning.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ChubbyBadnews

Forgot I even posted this  :-\

Will be taking a day off tomorrow to work on a bbq sauce. Think I will be following much the same as above but omitting the store bought bbq saunce and instead I'm going to  use chipolata paste.

I'll be back with a rewritten recipe and some pics

ChubbyBadnews

Quote from: OU812 on January 24, 2013, 07:30:42 PM
By "dessert sp" you mean that little spoon off to the side in the silver ware drawer?

If you want the smoke flavor theres this stuff called liquid smoke

Or you can smoke your onion salt, garlic powder, cracked black pepper, celery salt and cayenne pepper

I smoke fresh jalapeno and cayenne peppers till dry,,,,theyll last for ever when dried

Then you can add to things which ever way ya wont

Thats the dessert spoon im talking about :)

Don't really want to go near liquid smoke as I want to get a natural smokey flavour.

I have smoked whole jalapenos befor for my bacon and jalapeno mayo. They were really nice!!