Smoking

Started by afreitag, January 24, 2013, 07:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

afreitag

First off I am new to using a smoker. When I smoke a brisket or whatever it is i am smoking. Do I use the bisquettes the whole time the meat is in or do I just need them to get a smoke flavor and then let the heating element cook it the rest of the way?? It may sound stupid but I am new to this. Thank you

OU812

All you need to smoke is tor the first 3 or 4 hr

The rest of the time your just slow cooking

Have fun

Oh ya theres no stupid questions here  ;D

afreitag

I appreciate your response. Helps me out big time. Thank you.

OU812

Any more questions dont hesitate to ask,,,,,,,,theres plenty of folks here ready to help

afreitag

Now after the 3-4 hours of smoke, do you turn the smoke generator off?? Or does that supply the power to the heat bar?

beefmann

you  can turn off the smoke generator and leave the heater element,,, most  with a single 500 watt element leave the generator element on to aid in heating  the smoker and recovery process

OU812

If you leave the smoke generator on make sure you take a screw driver and knock off the puck thats still on the burner

tskeeter

Quote from: OU812 on January 25, 2013, 07:23:57 AM
If you leave the smoke generator on make sure you take a screw driver and knock off the puck thats still on the burner

Or, if you're as lazy as I am, you put three Bubba Pucks in the feed tube, on top of your wood pucks.  Then the Bubba Pucks will feed through the smoker generator and push the last wood puck off the smoke generator heater plate and into the water bowl.

afreitag

I appreciate all the help. I am going to be smoking some pork tomorrow. I hope it turns out good.

TedEbear

Quote from: afreitag on January 25, 2013, 07:55:41 PM
I am going to be smoking some pork tomorrow. I hope it turns out good.

If you're smoking a pork butt, remember to not get impatient when it gets to the stall period at around 160*F.  It tends to sit at that temp for a long time before it takes off again.

Understanding and Beating the Barbecue Stall, Bane Of All Barbecuers, and How It Helps Create "Bark"

dman4505

Pictures we need pictures as well
And trust me there are no stupid questions here, ask away
Everyone here has been where you are now, just learning this fun and wonderful craft

Don
"I am a soldier, I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight."

The Man's Prayer: I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

OU812

Quote from: tskeeter on January 25, 2013, 12:34:06 PM
Quote from: OU812 on January 25, 2013, 07:23:57 AM

Or, if you're as lazy as I am, you put three Bubba Pucks in the feed tube, on top of your wood pucks.  Then the Bubba Pucks will feed through the smoker generator and push the last wood puck off the smoke generator heater plate and into the water bowl.

I have the Bubba Pucks as well, but if ya dont, the screw thing is a must

afreitag

Thank you everyone. Appreciate the help.