Auber PID problem

Started by Toker, January 27, 2013, 02:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

Hi, today when i tried smoking a butt using my PID, i had a strange problem. Could someone try explaining the situation to me please.

When i start preheating the smoker at 250 as usual, the PID turned off by itself, i mean all the lights of the display turned off and the smoker shut down without any buzzer. I had to manually turn off the red button and turn it back on. It happend 3 times. What could cause this situation? Never had this issue before.

GusRobin

Normally I would say the high temp tripped but usually you get a ----- or something , it doesn't just shut down. Unless someone else has an answer I would give them a call (or you can email Suyi, he usually responds pretty quick.)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

not sure but maybe a  sensor ( thermocouple ) problem or bad connection is what im thinking

Keymaster

Somebody had the same problem awhile back and it turned out to be the lighted power switch in there case. They pop out real easy maybe check the wires on the back or rock it back and forth to see if it feels right.

Toker

Things got worst guys. Now it does not turn on at all. I mean, i let it rest a bit without opening it and now, it does not turn on anymore.

rexster

Yah. Sounds like a bad switch.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

Toker

I contacted them and before sending it back, they want me to check the fuse. Somebody knows where it is, how does it look like. The amp etc...Never did anything such before.

GusRobin

There is a round knob on the back that is marked "fuse". Turn it and it should pop out. It has a fuse in there.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

devo

Yes toker thats where the fuse is, but the way you said it was kind of working before it died all together makes me wonder if it is more than the fuse giving you problems.

Toker

Anyway, i dont have this round button my model is 1202. They said pry open the fuse box toward the on/of switch. Red button.

devo

Not sure if this will help you but here goes. This is from my old PID

Toker

Yes Devo thx that is what Auber made me check but that is not the problem cause it is still good.

devo

Ya I thought so. Just by the way you described your problem. I am thinking its a  thermocouple problem myself but with electronics who knows. Best to get Suyi or what ever his name is to help. Sorry but him and I don't get along so I wish you best of luck with him.

Toker

I think i found the problem, toward the on/off swtich connector inside the PID, there is a black spot. Could this spot indicate that it is fried? On my old PID i have no black spot at this place.

Swim Dad

I know this thread is a bit dated, but I had a similar problem a few monts after getting mine.  It just fried out.  Suyi replaced it and said the switch he used on my model could over heat so if I was turning it on and off to unplug instead.  Usually the only time I do this is after a preheat. 

He fixed my PID right up, but I had to spend $10 to ship it.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)