pork picknick

Started by threejs00, January 27, 2013, 08:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

threejs00

OK so i just signed up for this forum yesterday and have never  posted on one before so i'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place. But I did a picknick yesterday, only my third attempt at smoking. I read lots of stuff on here so I decided to start it at 5 last night just in case it took super long to finish. It was an 8 pounder and used hickory for 4 hours I was able to get the temp to stay pretty steady around 210-213 for the most part until around 2 am when i went to bed, for some reason when i got up at 7 the temp was up to 239 not sure what happened. The internal temps were anywhere from 198 to 210. Does this seem like a normal cook time? I was expecting 18 hours or so. I also forgot to take a picture before i did the ftc but will put one up when i unwrap it. Thanks for any input.
Sean

GusRobin

14 hours was a bit over 1 1/2 hr per lb which is in the "normal" range. A lot depends if it was a stubborn pig ;D. Did it seem done when you pulled it?  If you took the temp a a number of places and it was all in the 198 -210 range i would assume that it was done.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

threejs00

Since I've never done anything like this before the only gauge i have for it being done is my thermometer,, not sure if there are other ways. I took readings from all over it to make sure it was done, hopefully it is. :) Do you think the spike in temp might have messed it up at all?
Sean

GusRobin

I don't think it would mess it up.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

threejs00

So here is the finished product, I was surprised that it didn't have much flavor. Near the surface had some but the deeper i got it tasted more like fat.  :( I think when I add some sauce it will taste better. Any ideas where i went wrong? or is that how they usually are.
Sean

GusRobin

I am not that familiar with picnics, I usually make butts for pulled pork. I'll let the experts chime in.

beefmann

welcome to the forum and  looks like you  done a great job