thickness for spyguys LOX

Started by MikeST, January 31, 2013, 11:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeST

I went to COSTCO and got some atlantic salmon to try spyguys LOX recipe.
This big filet is pretty thick in the middle.
( Maybe 1" to  1-1/4 in the thickest part. )

Is that too thick for LOX?
Ive never done it before.
Do you need one of the thinner type ?
Thye had some steelhead that was probably only 1/2" at the thickest part.

mike

KyNola

Nope, not too thick.  Go for it.

MikeST

thanks.
I also just realized it has no skin on it.
I think it'll still be ok right?
( The recipe says use salmon with skin still on )

man its cold here.
My wind shill meter just ready 10

Habanero Smoker

I've made this recipe a few times, with skinless salmon, and it doesn't matter how you stack them. It turns out great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikeradio

I use the Costco salmon everytime I make lox, I buy them a couple at a time on pay days and freeze them till I am ready.  I trim off the thin parts so it cures even.

MikeST

What do you guys do with it when youre done?
Right into the fridge when its finished?

We just got a Foodsaver, so we were going to package it and give a lot away to get peoples opinions.
Do you seal and refridgerate?
Seal and freeze?

If we were going to give it away in the next week....just skip the sealing, and wrap in plastic wrap, stor ein fridge?

KyNola

I think the shelf life of fresh cold smoked lox is only about a week in the frig.  If I were going to wait a week before giving it away I would vac seal and freeze it.

Others more learned than me will be along and correct me if I am incorrect.

Waltz

I agree with KyNola. I have kept it for more than a week for my own consumption but if you are giving it away people may not use it immediately and you don't know how long they will keep it before using. I would vac seal and freeze it, keep it frozen and tell people to either defrost and use right away or freeze and keep for a few months.

iceman

They have you going in the right direction.
Vac seal, freeze, thaw out in fridge, use within a few days. Once the lox thaw they should be treated like fresh fish as far as storage goes.

MikeST

Thanks you guys for the patience with all my questions.
last one I hope ( yeah sure)

Im just setting up a second batch of LOX using spyguys recipe.
He says dry -brine for only 7-8 hours.
No longer.

I bought some beautiful atlantic salmon on sale at costco, but I also picked up some steelhead to try for LOX. The steelhead filets are about half the thickness. Should I adjust anything?
Since the dry-brine time is critical to not go too far...should I cut that back?
Or am I thinking of it wrong. Does the brine do the same job no matter the thickness?

I would think I could wet brine them together for the same amount of time, and since the smoke is only for flavor..same with that.

mike
minus zero wind chill here this morning

KyNola

Mike, I wouldn't adjust a thing.

And as for this being your last question, if it is then you are not smoking enough. ;D  I've been at this a long time and I still ask questions.

Ask away, that's how we all learn.

MikeST

Thanks so much for all the help.
My first batch has about 45 minutes more to go in the smoker.

It looks great...but not like some people describe as a "deep red"
Mine looks very similar to the color it is when you buy it
This is the atlantic salmon

Does that seem right?

KyNola

Mike, forget about the color.  It'a all about the taste and I think you've got it. ;)

Habanero Smoker

For Atlantic salmon, they are farmed raised and are feed a dye to produce their color. The dye that the salmon is fed can range in color from light to deep red, and some may have shades of orange. So the color basically depends on what farm raised the salmon, and where you purchased it from. Stores like Sam's and I believe Costco have selected a specific dye as their own signature color.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Teurf

Hey guys, I've done Spyguy's recipe for maybe 6-7 times now, and wondering if I can use the remaining dry brine for disolving in water to use for wet brine.

Also, I am using costco atlantic farmed raised salmon and sometimes get almost 2 inches thick parts. I have trouble dewatering those parts. I'm using Guerande Salt and Brown sugar for dry brining. Can it be because of the grain size of the salt? Which is pretty big..? I feel it has difficulty penetrating in the flesh

Thanks in advance!
Teurf