thickness for spyguys LOX

Started by MikeST, January 31, 2013, 11:28:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Hi Teurt;

Welcome to the forum.

Since you are using a course crystal size of Guerande salt; the volume for 5 pounds of salt will be much larger then 6 pounds of brown sugar; which is what the dry brine calls for. If you try to use that to make your wet brine using the volume measurements that are in the recipe, you may be adding too much salt, and not enough sugar. If you keep that dry brine in a tightly covered jar, it will last almost indefinitely, or you can make smaller batches at a time.

The larger the grain, the slower it will dissolve, so you may have to dry brine longer, or switch to Morton's Kosher salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

pmmpete

Unused, the ingredients of a dry brine should last indefinitely.  But it wouldn't be a good idea to re-use either a dry brine or a wet brine, because you are likely to get bacteria growth and spoilage.

Rad Rich

Here is a stupid question, where can I find this recipe. I love smoking salmon and I have never tried a lox recipe. How do you slice it as well?
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

KyNola

The recipe they are referring to is here: http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?103-The-Best-Smoked-LOX-Style-Salmon

There are many ways to make lox, some not as labor intensive as this particular recipe.

As for slicing, slice it very thin, laying your knife almost flat on top of the filet.

Rad Rich

I have no problem with a labor intensive reciepe. I just want to know if it s one of your favorites or if you have a different one.  I have smoked tons of salmon but it's always been hot smoked.  I really want to try some lox style.  any advice will be appreciated and used this weekend.  I'll throw up a few pictures of some salmon just for fun. 

Rad Rich