Bacon

Started by lonuff, January 18, 2013, 10:53:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lonuff

Im getting ready to do 10 lbs of bacon. I would like to know where to go on the forum to get the curing and all around info on smoking and cooking. I have read the info before but can not remember where i saw the info at. Thanks for all your help. I've been on here a bout a year i think and this forum is awesome.

OldHickory

Here is a link to the site that will have the recipes you want.  Good luck and post pic's.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/
Bradley DS4 with Auber PID and dual element mod
Char-Broil SRG
Weber kettle with rotisserie
Charmglow 5 burner with rotisserie pgg
Pit Barrel Smoker

We the people own this United States Of America,and the Constitution is our owners manual.

beefmann

old has sent  you to the best place

lonuff

Thank you guys. i went to that web site but can not register. I sent Trey a message to see how i can register.

Habanero Smoker

Although we encourage every one to register, the site is an open forum. You can immediately read, and download what every you like prior to registering.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lonuff

Thanks Hans.  I'm looking for a pepper Bacon to do. I'm makin a dessert with smoked pepper bacon dipped in chocolat.  I was able to find the bacon section on that web site but didn't see any for a pepper Bacon. I will keep looking, but if someone would have another idea that would be great. Not doing till next weekend. Also is it necessary to hang the belly or can it be laid flat on the racks? Thanks for all the help. Everyone on here is great.

KyNola

You can cure the bacon per normal and after removing it from the cure, rinse, pat day and press coarse ground pepper into the belly.  You may want to allow the belly to air dry overnight in your refrigerator so that the exterior is tacky to the touch.  Turn one(or more if needed) of the Bradley racks upside down and place the belly on it and place in the frig.  The smoke will adhere better to a tacky surface.

Certainly you can place the belly on the racks rather than hanging it.  Depending on the size and amount of the belly you may want to rotate the racks to keep the side of the belly nearest the back wall where the heating element is located from getting overdone and begin to render the fat from the belly.

Good luck and let us know if we can assist. 

lonuff

Thank you kynola for the info.

lonuff

so i think i have a problem. I've been curing my belly sense sat the 26th.
im using the buckboard cure i got from bass pro. i went by the instructions in the package for the amount of cure. Im doing 10lbs of pork belly. I've read that the belly should be wicking liquid and we are to message back into the meat during the curing process. Mine is not wicking any liquid at all. So my question is Did i use enough cure? If that is the case what would happen if i add more cure and cure for a longer period? Or should i Go ahead and smoke and find out how this run turns out?  Thanks for all your help.

Habanero Smoker

I have cured bellies that have given off very little liquid and they cured alright. I'm not familiar with Bass Pro buckboard cure, but if you are sure you used the correct amount, do not add any additional cure. Continue to cure it per their instructions. Often a good indicator that it is curing properly, will be that the meat has firmed up.

After curing, slice off a piece of bacon, and pan fry it. If it turns grayish - a similar color to a cooked pork chop, it did not cure properly. At this point you have to treat it as fresh pork belly.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

lonuff

Thanks HS. yes the meat is pretty firm. the end of the cure cycle is on sunday. so i will cut a slice off and cook to see what it does. Thanks again.

rexster

Be sure to rinse the meat off good otherwise you'll think the meat is too salty
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer