Super Bowl Butt

Started by GusRobin, February 01, 2013, 05:32:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

So I decided I had enough wings, so I thought I would make some pulled pork for the Super Bowl. The plan is to start it tonight (Friday) and have it done tomorrow afternoon sometime, FTC, pull and bag. I'll reheat on Sunday. That way I can enjoy the Sunday and not have to worry about cooking.

Of course I would pick the coldest night of the year to cook. The temp is on the right. ( I know it sounds like whining to all my northern brethren, but its the South, its supposed to be warmer!)

Here is the 8+ lb butt.

Trimmed and a pile of fat to be frozen and used for sausage

The players:

All rubbed and ready to go into the smoker.

The plan is 4 hours of Alder starting at 8 PM. (Why Alder? Because I have a bunch of it and what to use it up.)
Then I go to bed and get up about 7:00 and check on it.

More to come tomorrow.

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

OU812

Thats gonna be soooooo gooood

Caint wait to see the money shot

GusRobin

Here it is all tucked in for the night.
(sorry for the blurred picture)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

OU812

Good thing you pointed out its a blurry picture  ;D

mikecorn.1

Quote from: OU812 on February 01, 2013, 08:20:27 PM
Good thing you pointed out its a blurry picture  ;D
Ditto, cause I would've never guessed either ;D

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

mez

Was wondering how you reheat it and how I would be able to keep the meat warm over the whole night.I  plan on starting my butt sat night  and wanted to pull it and keep it warm in a slow cooker for sun afternoon and night.I imagine I would need some liquid in the cooker any suggestions?

GusRobin

Quote from: mez on February 02, 2013, 07:18:59 AM
Was wondering how you reheat it and how I would be able to keep the meat warm over the whole night.I  plan on starting my butt sat night  and wanted to pull it and keep it warm in a slow cooker for sun afternoon and night.I imagine I would need some liquid in the cooker any suggestions?

To reheat I throw it in a crock pot with the drippings. I used to put a couple of small bread pans with a little beef broth on the bottom rack to catch the drippings. Now that I cook in a permanent cold smoke set up I put a9 X13 pan with some broth at the bottom of the cabinet. If I don't catch the drippings then I just put some beef broth in the crock pot.

Not sure what you mean about keeping it warm all night. I start it at night and it cooks through the night. The PID is set at 225*.

Depending on the size it may not be ready until later. For example, I put my 8+ lb butt in at 225* at 8:00 pm last night. It is now 11:15 Sat morning and the IT is at 180*. So I estimate that it will probably be anywhere between 1-2 pm before it is done. I'll FTC for a couple of hours so it will probably be around 5-6 pm when we eat.

So you are better erring on the conservative side and start early. You can FTC for up to 4-5 hrs so that gives a good cushion if it gets done early or late. If it is really early you can pull it and put in the fridge then warm up later.

GusRobin

So I woke up about 7 am and glanced over to the Maverick display and it says the IT is 185*. Went back to sleep for 45 min and it now said 194*. I thought that was pretty quick for an 8+ lb butt - only 12 hrs.
So I went down and checked with my orange thermapen (fastest) and it was about 165* in other areas which made more sense. The probe must have been in a hot spot or fat pocket. (that is why I never set the PID to end a smoke based upon IT)
Its now 11:50 and the IT is 182* - so passed the stall and heading for the finish line.
More pics to come later.

mez

Thanks thats what i needed to know.I meant keep it warm all day sunday so people cam eat it when they want .The crock pot will great for this.Gotta pick up some beff broth today.

GusRobin

I don't use much broth, just a little to put some moisture in the pot. Not making soup.