Pulled Pork

Started by andyev, February 03, 2013, 09:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyev

So I started a 9 1/2 lb pork shoulder at 7 last night and I just took it off the smoker.  It's wrapped in foil and a towel in a cooler but how long will it stay in there?  I took it off at 192 degrees so I'm hoping it will stay in there to be pulled right before the game.  Does that sound right or do I need to pull it, refrigerate it, and then reheat it for the game?

I'll post pics if someone will give me a brief tutorial. 

TedEbear

The common answer to this is you can FTC for up to 4 hours.  You can always pull it, put it in a baking pan covered in foil and reheat it in the oven 1-1.5 hours before ready to eat.  Pour about 2/3 cup of apple juice in the pan, leave it sealed in the foil and put it in the oven at 250*F

As far as the pics question, click here: Adding Pictures to Your Posts

KyNola

I'm betting your pork will be plenty warm if you leave it wrapped up in the cooler until game time, you will still find it too hot to pull barehanded.

andyev

Thanks for the input.  I think it should be fine.  The meat was falling apart when I took it off the smoker so I can't wait to taste it.  I also was happy with the bark on it.  I cooked it at 225 for 19 hours and it got up to 197 internal temp.

Here's a picture of it rubbed and ready to go on the smoker

Here's a picture when I pulled it off.  You can see some loose pieces on a side of the photo.  That was stuck to the grate and fell off the shoulder when I pulled it off

iceman

Looks like your in for a treat  :)
That is really good looking bark!
Enjoy the game and the tasty food  ;D

GusRobin

looks great - you have more will power than me. There would have been a few chunks missing, strictly for quality control purposes of course.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Wildcat

Quote from: GusRobin on February 03, 2013, 11:42:00 AM
looks great - you have more will power than me. There would have been a few chunks missing, strictly for quality control purposes of course.

Ditto. Looks great.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

SiFumar

TedEbear

Quote from: andyev on February 03, 2013, 11:15:44 AMYou can see some loose pieces on a side of the photo.  That was stuck to the grate and fell off the shoulder when I pulled it off

Looks good.  You can put some Frogmats down on the grates to prevent the meat from sticking.

beefmann