Pucks swelling

Started by Cpelley1, February 03, 2013, 10:30:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cpelley1

The last two times I've tried to use my smoker after about an hour of smoking the the third puck back from the burner swells to the point it plugs and won't allow any other pucks to advance to the burner. The first time it did it I was cooking a pork butt and thought it may have dripped down onto the puck and that made it swell. So last night I was going to do a brisket. I took the smoke box apart and cleaned it out just to be sure that wasn't the problem. Fired it up empty to try it first and after about an hour, same problem. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

TedEbear

A common problem with swelling pucks is if they've been exposed to moisture or stored in a high humidity environment.

Lots of threads on the subject here:  Swelling Pucks

GusRobin

Do you cook with the vent closed? It could be causing condensation that drips on the puck?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Macman

If your pucks are dry to start with, they should survive the closed vent, make sure they don't stay exposed to the elements at all, I keep them in a zip lock bag once opened and stored indoors.  I am smoking today in 100 percent humidity and have in the past without issue.

Habanero Smoker

If it is usually the third bisquette that is swelling, that is a sign that your vent is not open wide enough. Moisture and smoke are back drafting through the generator. Adjust your vent until you are sure their is no smoke backing out of the generator. Besides the bisquettes swelling, you can damage components in the generator, due to moisture and smoke residue.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Cpelley1

The vent was closed all the way. The pucks were brand new and stored in my house in the original package. It was about 10 degrees last night. I'll try having the vent open next time. Thanks for the advice.

Sailor

Quote from: Cpelley1 on February 03, 2013, 01:34:06 PM
The vent was closed all the way. The pucks were brand new and stored in my house in the original package. It was about 10 degrees last night. I'll try having the vent open next time. Thanks for the advice.
Just sayin......My vent has been stuck in the wide open position for over 2 years.  :o  ;D  Got to get that moisture out

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

Habanero Smoker

The fully closed vent is what is causing the problem. Because your vent is closed too much moisture is building up and to compound the problem the moisture is drawing back through the generator where that third bisquette is sitting; plus there is probably condensation running down the walls and onto the bisquette.

If you are running a standard setup (no modifications or enlarge water pan) you may want start with the vent half open and make adjustments from there. When I had the original setup, or when I run with just one element I find there is a balance between percentage  of moisture in the smoker and heat loss through a too wide opened vent. The goal is to prevent condensation inside the smoker, that is the point where moisture will cause heat loss.

This is a guideline you may want to look at.
Vent Openings

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

With the two 500 elements there is no reason to close i found. I leave mine completely open full time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

RedJada

Are you saying you can open/close the vent?  ;D ;D ;D Never thought I could close it...

On a serious note, leave the vent all the way open or you will be subjected to the black tar syndrome. That's when all the built up stuff from smoking will drip down (black like tar) will drip down on you food.