Commercial Meat and Poultry Rubs

Started by Habanero Smoker, April 26, 2006, 11:35:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

I just got back from shopping. I was at Hannaford's (a grocery chain in the North East); in the spice isle they must have had at least 30 different wet and dry rubs made by five different manufacturers.  If you are not into making your own rubs, and there is a Hannaford near you, you should check it out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Thats my kinda of store.BUT no go here in illinois BUMMER...

Bassman

Making my own rubs is half the fun. I usually follow a recipe in Paul Kirks book or S & S. Sometimes I'll make a variation of two. Sometimes it works  ;D and sometimes it doesn't  :(
Jack

iceman

I have way to much fun making my own also Bassman. Ann says it's like watching a mad scientist at work when I mix spices. Live entertainment for her and the neighbors.
Quote from: Bassman on April 27, 2006, 08:34:17 AM
Making my own rubs is half the fun. I usually follow a recipe in Paul Kirks book or S & S. Sometimes I'll make a variation of two. Sometimes it works  ;D and sometimes it doesn't  :(

Habanero Smoker

I make my own rubs also, that's why I was in the spice section and usually use one of Paul Kirk's rubs as a starting point.; I needed a small amount of celery seeds.

Looking at the selection they have, I am going to try some, especially the ones with a Caribbean blend, and there was a couple with wasabi.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 27, 2006, 01:37:22 PM
and there was a couple with wasabi.
Now that sounds good. Olds mentioned wasabi to me once and got me hooked on the stuff.

Bassman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 27, 2006, 01:37:22 PM
... and there was a couple with wasabi.

Habanero,
Wasabi is hot right? I don't think I ever had it.
Jack

Habanero Smoker

YEAH!!!

It's a very hot horseradish. Much hotter than the North America variety. But as someone said (I believe on this board), it the type of heat that doesn't linger in your mouth.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

iceman

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on April 28, 2006, 08:24:47 AM
YEAH!!!

It's a very hot horseradish. Much hotter than the North America variety. But as someone said (I believe on this board), it the type of heat that doesn't linger in your mouth.
Yep, Hot then poof, it's gone. Great stuff! Great for sinuses. :D

JJC

Yep, Hot then poof, it's gone. Great stuff! Great for sinuses. :D

Know what you mean about the sinus thing, Icerat--whenever I have sushi, if I don't clear out my sinues at least once with a slight overdose of wasabi I'm disappointed  :)
John
Newton MA

tsquared

At least someone told you about wasabi! First time I ever had sushi I was delighted to see that it came with guacamole. So I took a big dollop and was somewhat surprised at the effect!  :D My wife still laughs about that one.
T2

Chez Bubba

Now I don't feel so stupid for wanting more of that "thin-sliced fish that was marinated in ginger"!!! ;) ;D ;D

Kirk
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

ListerD