auber dual probe

Started by dtjim, February 09, 2013, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtjim

I have the original bradley 4 rack and just got an auber dual probe. I finally figured out how to program it except for the smoke generator. I dont understand why i can only have it come on for 2 steps. wouldnt it help for heat recovery when rotating racks to have that element on all the time? It comes programmed to only turn on during the first step so how do i change it to at least stay on for 2 steps if not all the time?

GusRobin

Here is a little tutorial for the PID

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

To answer your question directly, hit the set button and hold it until "LCK" appears on the screen. Then go to the + - buttons and hold the + until you get to 166 on the screen. Hit the set button until to get to r1. Here you set the cycle that you the smoke generator to run the first time. When you set that, you can set R2 to the cycle you want it to come on the second time.

If you have more than 2 cycles and want the SG on all the time, plug the SG directly into an outlet rather than the PID.

Just curious what you are cooking that you need to have the extra heat and multiple cycles? What I mean is that most stuff like butts, chicken, brisket etc, I usually have one long cycle or 2 at the most. So there isn't an issue. For things like sausage (and I assume fish is the same) I use multiple cycles but since I am at lower temps, I wouldn't think you need the extra heat from the SG.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

dtjim

im doing some jerky and i wanna smoke for 3 hours. gonna cook 2 hrs at 140 with no smoke for the first hour and the 150 for an hour and then 160 for an hour and then 170 till done. so i would need 3 steps for the sg. Its 25F degrees where im at so i like to have the generator on all the time to help with heat recovery when i rotate the racks. I should have ordered the extra power cord with my pid so i could plug it right into the outlet but i didnt know at the time that the pid was set up like that. Does anybody know the power requirements for the cord so i can get one.

devo

I think all you need is a computer power cord but I could be wrong. I'm sure if I am someone will let us know  ::)

GusRobin

Quote from: dtjim on February 10, 2013, 07:02:27 AM
im doing some jerky and i wanna smoke for 3 hours. gonna cook 2 hrs at 140 with no smoke for the first hour and the 150 for an hour and then 160 for an hour and then 170 till done. so i would need 3 steps for the sg. Its 25F degrees where im at so i like to have the generator on all the time to help with heat recovery when i rotate the racks. I should have ordered the extra power cord with my pid so i could plug it right into the outlet but i didnt know at the time that the pid was set up like that. Does anybody know the power requirements for the cord so i can get one.

Yes I believe a computer cord is all you need.
Have you done jerky before? The reason I ask Is you may have enough heat to maintain temps without the SG. I have added the second element so I am not in familiar territory here, but I would think the single element should be enough.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

drano

If you have the old style OBS, the smoke generator should plug directly into a wall outlet.  Mine does. 
Not sure how the new version (BS611) smoke generator is wired. 

If you're just running the smoke generator, an 18 ga cord will work.  But I always like running heavier cord if I can.
Amazon has computer cords, and if you search, you can find heavier gauge versions. 
Typical computer CPU power cord plugs are NEMA 515P for plugging into the wall, and IEC320C13 (or simply C13) is the male end that plugs into the back of the computer.
IEC320C14 (or C14) would be the female counterpart to C13. 

I ordered 2 of these 14 gauge cords recently for wall to PID, and PID to smoker (OBS and single probe Auber).
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P007-002-Power-5-15P/dp/B0027JPKIE/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Hopefully this is clearer than mud. 

dtjim

i just found a computer cord looks like it will fit gonna try it soon

dtjim

Quote from: GusRobin on February 10, 2013, 08:21:08 AM
Quote from: dtjim on February 10, 2013, 07:02:27 AM

Yes I believe a computer cord is all you need.
Have you done jerky before? The reason I ask Is you may have enough heat to maintain temps without the SG. I have added the second element so I am not in familiar territory here, but I would think the single element should be enough.
[/quot

this is my 3rd try at jerky 2nd time with the pid, the last time it was a little colder outside and without the sg on it took a really long time to get back to temp after i rotated the racks

dtjim

Quote from: GusRobin on February 09, 2013, 04:26:21 PM
Here is a little tutorial for the PID

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=18346.0

To answer your question directly, hit the set button and hold it until "LCK" appears on the screen. Then go to the + - buttons and hold the + until you get to 166 on the screen. Hit the set button until to get to r1. Here you set the cycle that you the smoke generator to run the first time. When you set that, you can set R2 to the cycle you want it to come on the second time.

If you have more than 2 cycles and want the SG on all the time, plug the SG directly into an outlet rather than the PID.

Just curious what you are cooking that you need to have the extra heat and multiple cycles? What I mean is that most stuff like butts, chicken, brisket etc, I usually have one long cycle or 2 at the most. So there isn't an issue. For things like sausage (and I assume fish is the same) I use multiple cycles but since I am at lower temps, I wouldn't think you need the extra heat from the SG.

Ok thanks for the info, i just changed my r2 setting to stay on for the 2nd step but while doing it i noticed a setting in there that isnt listed on the instructions. While going through the screens the setting before r1 was an R setting. My instuctions that came with it and what i read on here list the settings in this order after you enter the lock code
P
I
d
At
t
r1
r2
In between t and r1 I had an r, just got this pid a month ago. Did auber maybe add an extra step to leave the sg on all the time on the newer models. What is this r step that isnt in any of the manuals or tutorials

dtjim

drano i do have the obs but the auber pid uses the existing power cord to hook it up so plugging it in directly wont work unless this computer cord i just found will work

GusRobin

I knew what the "r" stands for, bit forgot. But I am pretty sure it is not to set the SG to be on all the time.

dtjim

ok they computer cord worked but i have a question for the experts about that. I know the auber comes tuned for the bradley somehow. With me bypassing the pid for the sg element will that somehow screw with the factory tuning for the bradley since it would be adjusting the heat thinking the sg is off but its actually on

GusRobin

Probably, but it shouldn't make that much off a difference to worry about. If you plan to always do it that way you could autotune.

rexster

Yeh, I also don't think it'll make any difference to the temp swing either
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

GusRobin

Quote from: dtjim on February 10, 2013, 08:44:32 AM
Ok thanks for the info, i just changed my r2 setting to stay on for the 2nd step but while doing it i noticed a setting in there that isnt listed on the instructions. While going through the screens the setting before r1 was an R setting. My instuctions that came with it and what i read on here list the settings in this order after you enter the lock code
P
I
d
At
t
r1
r2
In between t and r1 I had an r, just got this pid a month ago. Did auber maybe add an extra step to leave the sg on all the time on the newer models. What is this r step that isnt in any of the manuals or tutorials
Here is the answer I got from Suyi at Auber regarding the "r"

"r" is the Capital T for 7 segments LED display.  It is the cycle rate of the controller. If should be left at 2 for electric heater.

To be honest I am not sure I understand the response except for the part that seems to say we shouldn't touch it unless autotune changes it.