auber dual probe

Started by dtjim, February 09, 2013, 03:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dtjim

I just got a response about it also this is what i got

"r" is the Capital T for 7 segments LED display.  It is the cycle rate of the controller. If should be left at 2 for electric heater.

Suyi Liu
Auber Instruments

and when i asked about the sg being left on i got this answer, gonna copy and paste my question and their answer

I have the original bradley 4 rack and just got an auber dual probe. I
finally figured out how to program it except for the smoke generator. I dont
understand why i can only have it come on for 2 steps. wouldnt it help for
heat recovery when rotating racks to have that element on all the time? It
comes programmed to only turn on during the first step so how do i change it
to at least stay on for 2 steps if not all the time?

dtjim

this part was their answer

It is not correct. When controller want to reduce the heat, it is better to have a 0 output. The larger the daynamic of the change, the easier it can cable. The smoke generator can rise the conbinate temperatre by 40 F. It become more difficult for low temperature control when smoke generator is on.  Also, if you want it to be on all the time, just plug the generator directly to the wall outlet.

dtjim

I guess i wont be contacting them for customer support again, that pisses me off

GusRobin

Quote from: dtjim on February 11, 2013, 02:34:28 PM
I guess i wont be contacting them for customer support again, that pisses me off

What pisses you off?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

dtjim

Quote from: GusRobin on February 11, 2013, 04:23:20 PM

What pisses you off?

the horrible customer service, I live in america and i speak english if they sell their product here then they should have someone who speaks decent english to offer support for their product

GusRobin

Quote from: dtjim on February 11, 2013, 06:57:02 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on February 11, 2013, 04:23:20 PM

What pisses you off?

the horrible customer service, I live in america and i speak english if they sell their product here then they should have someone who speaks decent english to offer support for their product

well actually lately t appears that if you want them to speak THE language, they would probably need to speak Spanish ;D

It may not be perfect English, but Suyi has always provided good and timely customer service. At least for me.
SO what he was saying was the the SG can add 40 degrees which makes it harder to control. I saw something where they had done testing with the SG on and off, and overall the PID controlled better by controlling the elements without the SG. May have to do with the difference in rates of cooling between the element and the puck burner.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

dtjim

ya i pretty much understood what he said but he didnt really answer my questions probably because he didnt understand what i was asking.

rexster

Well, in my case I have a DBS 6 rack, and have found that with the SG plugged directly in an outlet the Auber stays even temp when smoking and after the SG turns off as programmed, the Auber keeps the same temp so no temp swings at all. Smoke penetrates the meat at a lower temperature anyways and doesn't add too much at higher temps. I don't know why the hubbub is over 2 smoke cycles
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

dtjim

thats because you live in texas lol, when its 10 degrees out it really helps to have the extra 250 watts when you need to open the door to rotate the racks and its filled with a big load of cold meat.  The main element is 500 watt so the extra 250 from the sg really helps

TedEbear

Quote from: dtjim on February 11, 2013, 08:44:16 PMThe main element is 500 watt so the extra 250 from the sg really helps

The SG is only 125 watts.

devo

Quote from: dtjim on February 11, 2013, 08:44:16 PM
thats because you live in texas lol, when its 10 degrees out it really helps to have the extra 250 watts when you need to open the door to rotate the racks and its filled with a big load of cold meat.  The main element is 500 watt so the extra 250 from the sg really helps

At that temp it will not make any difference, you be better off spending the extra twenty bucks and pick up an extra element and be done with it.

rexster

Plug the SG in directly. Leave it on whether you have bisquettes burning or not. Let the Auber control the heat element. You will have a pretty much constant (ambient) temp in the cabinet if the SG is on, so the Auber should control the heat element to keep the temp you've selected. You don't say if you have a second element or not, I assume you don't. Pop for the second element or change out for a 900w single element and your problem is solved.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

TheHardWay

I'm using a 6 rack and dual probe auber as well. Doing some summer sausage as we speak.  From what I can tell is that the cabinet temp stays fairly consistent whether or not the SG is on (I plug my SG directly into an outlet)
Isn't that the point of using a dual probe?  The cabinet sensor probe monitors temperature, and applies the right amount of power to the element to maintain the pre determined temp. The added heat from the SG will just make the element cycle less frequently.

On a side note, where does one purchase a 900w element and/or a second element?

GusRobin

you can purchase a second element from Bradley direct or from Yard and Pool

paulsnapp

The Auber PID will adjust and hold the temp in the tower whether the SG is on or off.  The probe measures the temp and adjusts the elements to compensate.  Having the SG on may help a very small amount with getting back to a target temp after the door was opened on units with a single heating element.  With the two element mod the SG has no real impact on getting back to a temp if you open the door.  It is hard to believe what an improvement the second element mod is until you do it and see for yourself.  Well worth the time and money.  Just make sure you power the mod with a PID and not the SG from Bradley.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod