Unit converter

Started by manxman, April 26, 2006, 12:53:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

Just for information I have sent a message to BTI Canada asking if there is any way a unit converter can be incorporated into the forum, I spend time converting units (temperatures in particular) and conversely it may help people in the US/Canada if people this side of the pond make posts using centrigrade for example. However, it will probably be of most use to non US/Canadian participants.

Bradley Smokers seem to be wanting to expand into Europe in particular and it may in some way help encourage a more cosmopolitan cross section of BS users to participate on the forum.

So if a unit converter appears you can blame me!! ;) I seem to remember Olds has already incorporated one into the recipe site?
Manxman

iceman

I kind of like the idea. I mean come on now, what's a few degrees amoung friends. :D ;D

Oldman

QuoteI seem to remember Olds has already incorporated one into the recipe site?
Yepper there is one there.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

Quotewhat's a few degrees amoung friends.

Haha, it perhaps makes people are this side of the pond appreciate when someone in Alaska says the temperature outside is 0degF that it is in fact -18degC in "funny money" units and a bit chilly!!! ;D
Manxman

iceman

Hey Manx, 0 F was on the warmer side this winter. It kept hitting minus 30F and below this season. I can truely say the smoke generator does not work very long at that temp. without a space heater blasting on it. The ole grease in the gear box of the advance motor kind of turns to concrete. Besides that it's a son of a gun keeping the smoker hot. :D Ann thinks I'm a weirdo when I do things outside at those temps. Mabe she's right! :o ::) :D

manxman

Where's my temperature converter when I need it.....................! ???

Blimey, -30F equates to -34C, can't imagine living anywhere that cold, must affect a load of other things that most folk would take for granted like starting the car!! :o

We have -80C (-112F) freezers at work and we occasionally use dry ice but our temperatures weatherwise very rarely fall below zero, 15 to 20F (-8C) is probably about as cold as it gets round here.

Interesting I noticed when playing with temperature conversions that -40F = -40C, one easy one to remember at least along with with 0C and 100C! (32F and 212F)

Had a prompt reply from BTI Canada, their IT people are looking into incorporating a unit converter onto the forum which would be very useful. I currently have a list of US measures and their UK counterparts fridge magnet in the kitchen which does help a lot.
Manxman

Kummok

Quote from: iceman on April 27, 2006, 11:55:09 AM
..... Ann thinks I'm a weirdo when I do things outside at those temps. Mabe she's right! :o ::) :D

She's right Iceman, but that's what makes you a Sourdough instead of a Cheechako! ;) Right now, my neighbor and good fishing buddy is out sloggin' around in the snow, across the Inlet, trying to kill a 9'+ Grizzly that he won't eat, INSTEAD of being out on the flat calm Bay chasing Feeder Kings....now THAT's wierd! ;) ;D

iceman

Gotta agree with you on that Kummok. Them grizzly's have a way of becoming the hunter and not the hunted too many times. Your buddy is truely nuts. Next time Ann tells me I'm crazy I'm gonna start mumbling something about grizzly hunting. THAT"LL  shut her up------for a minute! :D ;)

JJC

Hi Paul,

Glad to hear BTI Canada was so responsive--I think a converter on this site would be very helpful.
John
Newton MA

Michael Housh

There is an excellent conversion program named Convert.exe. It can be downloaded free at joshmadison.com. Try it, you can not beat the price or efficiency.

jaeger

Welcome to the forum Michael!
Thanks for the link.
Don't be a stranger!

gary_CO

Quote from: Michael Housh on May 05, 2006, 01:55:11 PM
There is an excellent conversion program named Convert.exe. It can be downloaded free at joshmadison.com. Try it, you can not beat the price or efficiency.

One I like is http://www.megaconverter.com/mega2/, but it's online...

manxman

Martin was good enough to follow up my suggestion and get the IT guys at Bradley to talk to the forum software developers, it doess'nt look like a unit converter can be incorporated into the forum anytime soon.

At least the idea was followed up even if it wasn't a positive result in this instance.

I have suggested maybe a sticky at the top of a suitable topic may help as an alternative?
Manxman

Oldman

Quote...it doess'nt look like a unit converter can be incorporated into the forum anytime soon.
That is a shame. Well if needed there is a converter on the recipe site near the top of the page.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

manxman

QuoteWell if needed there is a converter on the recipe site near the top of the page.

Hi Olds,

I have posted links direct to these in the "non-smoking" recipe section for a want of a better place to put it. I have locked it and asked BTI Canada if they will make it a sticky, hope no-one objects.

Anything that saves time and means less key strokes! ;D

Seem to spend a fair bit of time converting units and I am sure quite a few other people on this side of the pond do as well. Not many people post on the forum over this way but I do get quite a few emails from people in the UK with queries and one that has come up several times is regarding weights and temperatures.

Manxman