No heat, no light on the front panel

Started by EZ Smoker, February 11, 2013, 10:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ Smoker

In my OBS, I think I blew the board.   I heard a familiar electronic FFTZZZZZZZZZZOP sound, and I was pretty sure something on the board had blown.   Now there's no light on the front panel, and no heat at all. 

I replaced the fuse to be certain that wasn't the problem, and that didn't change anything.  I started to order a board from Yard and Pool, but I don't know what it's called.  Is it called a heat control switch? 

Thanks,
Scott

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

GusRobin

why don't you call Bradley? sometimes they are cheaper than Yard and Pool
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

TedEbear

Before you spend money on something that might not be bad, use a multimeter and check that there's 120V getting to the tower.

beefmann

check your smoker out first... you may have a short someplace

Habanero Smoker

It is called a Heat Control Switch. As Beefmann points out, before replacing it check for shorts.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

EZ Smoker

This happened while I was working on the cabinet.  The smoke generator isn't even attached.  I'm running a power cord straight from the wall to the cabinet. 

The painful truth is that I had fixed my previous problem (bad heating elements), and I asked my wife to put a few screws in the metal back plate (which I had taken off to check the fuse)... but unfortunately I told her to do that before I checked to make sure I had put the shielding back over the fuse.  The metal plate pressed against the metal fuse, and when she plugged in the power:  FFFTZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZOP! 

I wasn't sure whether I had blown the fuse or the board, but it couldn't have been the smoke generator because it wasn't attached. 

So I replaced the fuse at the back of the cabinet, but that didn't fix the problem.   So does that mean I've narrowed it down to the heat control switch?   

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

paulsnapp

I would use a multimeter if you have one and check the continuity between the wires coming from the heat control switch.  You would need to disconnect them from the circuit, slide the temp control from low to high and see if you have continuity.  If not, the board is fried.  I would also do a continuity check on the wiring going to your heating elements as well.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

Habanero Smoker

If you don't have a multi meter, you can by past the switch by unplugging the connectors from the Heat Control Switch, then tape the two connectors together. Plug the cabinet in, and if the elements heat up, then the problem is your Heat Control Switch. When the element starts to heat up, unplug the cabinet. Note: take a picture of the Heat Control Switch before you unplug the wires.  That will help you when you want to reconnect the wires.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

EZ Smoker

I replaced the fuse and the heat control switch, and still have no change in the problem. 

Tech reminder:  The smoke generator is not attached; I'm just working with the cabinet, with a power cord running directly to it from the wall. 

I'm a bit confused about your advice on the multimeter.  Where exactly do the leads of the multimeter go in order the check the continuity you're talking about.  Just to see what I could learn, I put my multimeter on the lowest ohms setting, and placed the leads on the old heat control switch (now sitting on my table) where the wires connect.  There was no continuity.  I checked the switch on both low and high, and there was no continuity.  Should there be?  Does that mean this is a bad switch?

After I did this, I unplugged the new switch, and tested it the same way.  No continuity.   

But is there supposed to be continuity there? 

At this point, I've replaced every part except the temp sensor.  What do I do? 

Someone also suggested I check for shorts.  I can confirm it is definitely not wearing shorts of any kind.   Seriously though, where would I put the leads to check something like that?

EZ Smoker

I got it fixed.  Thanks for the help. 

I replaced the heat control switch and the hi-temp sensor.  So now it's working.  Thanks to everybody, especially Sonny, for the help. 

classicrockgriller

Glad you are up and running!

Now get to smokin and postin.

beefmann

EZ Smoker

So good to be back amid the smoke.  Wings tonight.  2 hrs of apple, then crisped up on the grill.  Oh yeah.  Thanks again for all the help. 

Rad Rich

man I am gonna be lost when i gotta do some of that.  Glad t see your up and running
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Rad Rich on February 26, 2013, 08:43:36 AM
man I am gonna be lost when i gotta do some of that.  Glad t see your up and running

That is what makes this Forum so great.

People are willing to help, answer questions, send parts, or if need be

"make a road trip". No Smoker left Behind.