Smoked German Summer Sausage & Bockwurst

Started by Kevin A, February 12, 2013, 10:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin A

I made some good Deutschland-style sausages this past weekend. One version is a fresh (non-smoked) Bockwurst, a recipe I've made several times before. It's probably our family's favorite as it tends to disappear within a week, no matter how large a batch I make.

This bockwurst batch will be five pounds. It starts with a combination of pork, pork fat & veal. This time, however, I'm using beef in place of veal (!)—which probably makes this sausage more of a 'bratwurst' (beef & pork) whereas bocks tend to be veal-based.

Meats & fat ground & ready to go:

For a more detailed (photos) look at the process, see my earlier bockwurst thread. It includes the recipe:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=29601.msg351635#msg351635

I'm also making a Summer Sausage, made of pork and beef.
Meats ground for the SS:

For the summer sausage, I'll be adding a number of ingredients (kosher salt, mace, garlic powder, marjoram, mustard seed, dextrose, paprika, black pepper), including juniper berries and caraway seeds.
The juniper berries & caraway I want to grind first, before adding it to the meat.

Into the spice grinder:

Once the meat is well-mixed, it gets placed in to the stuffer. I'm using 12" fibrous casings for these sausages.

Into the smoker: After 1 hour @ 130°, I begin to apply heavy smoke (apple wood).

While the summer sausage is in the smoker, I can now begin stuffing the bockwursts. Using 32mm natural pork casings that have been soaking in warm water & a splash of vinegar.

Made one long rope & tied off lengths. No blow outs!

These links will now get poached (165°F) for about 30 minutes until the internal temp hits 152°F

On the cooling rack, post-poach:

We had some of these for a late lunch-early dinner. Mild, oniony flavor; firm texture, tender casings. My boys love these sausages anytime (afternoon snack, late night, whenever).

Back to the Summer Sausage:
After nearly 5 hours in the smoker, I pulled the SS & put the chubs into the hot bath (165°F) until done (about 25 minutes). Into a quick-cooling icebath ad then I hung them overnight in the fridge:

NEXT DAY: slicing & sample time!

This SS sliced beautifully; very uniform distribution of lean/fat & spices. Good exterior color, too. Mildly spiced, with definite hint of both caraway & juniper. Not as smokey as I anticipated, but after these 'rest' for a few days (& lose some more moisture), I do a 're-taste' and see how the flavors continue to develop.

Kevin

Sailor

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pikeman_95

As usual Kevin things look great. I bet the links taste great on the grill.

cobra6223

they all look very good. My question is since I have a horrible time finding veal unless I would go to the pasture and steal or borrow one veal is just about impossible to find here. So making the bock's with beef with make it a brat, where do you find the veal ?

Kevin A

Quote from: cobra6223 on February 12, 2013, 09:53:28 PM
they all look very good. My question is since I have a horrible time finding veal unless I would go to the pasture and steal or borrow one veal is just about impossible to find here. So making the bock's with beef with make it a brat, where do you find the veal ?
To be honest, I really can't tell the difference in taste with these 'bocks' by using BEEF in place of the veal. I'm sure the difference is there, but the only way I'd probably be able to tell was to do an actual side-by-side tasting. Even then, I'm sure the difference is subtle. In this recipe, the veal/beef/non-pork portion is only 20-25% of the meat. Some recipes for bock, the veal is more like 60-75%.

But if I wish to truly make an official VEAL bockwurst, I can find both ground veal ($11/pound!) or veal 'pieces' ($13.99/lb) at a local grocers. They don't always carry it, but I've seen it there at times. most places can order some if you desire. This is quite an investment.  :o

Kevin

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Kevin A on February 13, 2013, 07:05:43 AM
Quote from: cobra6223 on February 12, 2013, 09:53:28 PM
To be honest, I really can't tell the difference in taste with these 'bocks' by using BEEF in place of the veal. I'm sure the difference is there, but the only way I'd probably be able to tell was to do an actual side-by-side tasting. Even then, I'm sure the difference is subtle. In this recipe, the veal/beef/non-pork portion is only 20-25% of the meat. Some recipes for bock, the veal is more like 60-75%.

But if I wish to truly make an official VEAL bockwurst, I can find both ground veal ($11/pound!) or veal 'pieces' ($13.99/lb) at a local grocers. They don't always carry it, but I've seen it there at times. most places can order some if you desire. This is quite an investment.  :o

Kevin

If you have access to Restaurant Depot, they carry ground veal. I haven't used it yet, so don't know the quality or % of fat, but they run specials at times between $3-$4/lb.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

Kevin A

Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 13, 2013, 07:22:41 AMIf you have access to Restaurant Depot, they carry ground veal. I haven't used it yet, so don't know the quality or % of fat, but they run specials at times between $3-$4/lb.
At $3-4.00/lb, now THAT would be a game-changer! Got one of those stores about 25 minutes away in Oakland.   ;)

Salmonsmoker

Quote from: Kevin A on February 13, 2013, 08:02:32 AM
Quote from: Salmonsmoker on February 13, 2013, 07:22:41 AMIf you have access to Restaurant Depot, they carry ground veal. I haven't used it yet, so don't know the quality or % of fat, but they run specials at times between $3-$4/lb.
At $3-4.00/lb, now THAT would be a game-changer! Got one of those stores about 25 minutes away in Oakland.   ;)

Kevin,
You'll need a business license to buy there, hope it works out.
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

mez

Looks good.I was wondering what juniper berries taste like and if they have a noticeable flavor in the meat?

pikeman_95

The old Pole that taught my dad to make sausage told me the secret to their sausage was a little juniper berry in their summer sausage but I have never had the nerve to try in one of our larger batches. I don't think that he ever told my dad that secret. It was something that he told me not much before his passing.  So Kevin, how is it?? Would you do it again?

Kevin A

Quote from: mez on February 13, 2013, 06:03:10 PM
Looks good.I was wondering what juniper berries taste like and if they have a noticeable flavor in the meat?
Quote from: pikeman_95 on February 13, 2013, 07:55:56 PM
The old Pole that taught my dad to make sausage told me the secret to their sausage was a little juniper berry in their summer sausage but I have never had the nerve to try in one of our larger batches. I don't think that he ever told my dad that secret. It was something that he told me not much before his passing.  So Kevin, how is it?? Would you do it again?
juniper berries have a distinctly 'piney' or sharp taste—but much more floral if you're thinking 'pine-needles' flavor! ;)
Also their oils add the distinct flavor to GIN—my preferred martini.
I've used them in stews, roasts & hearty meat dishes. This is only the 2nd time I've used them in sausages (I added some to the Krautwurst I made last May).
In this sausage, I think their distinct flavor is partially masked by the more dominant caraway flavor, but they do add a sharpness that the caraway alone doesnt have. It's a unique combo, but not unpleasant. It works quite well in this recipe.

So sure, kirby, I wouldnt hesitate to use them. But like caraway, sage, and other strong spices, best to use less than too much.

Kevin