Smoked Trout Help Needed

Started by zr2paul, June 27, 2004, 04:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zr2paul

I need some help with a Trout Recipe, Smoking the Trout, and everything else about Smoking/Cooking a 3-4lbs Trout in the Bradley Smoker.  Everything from Start to Finish...as detailed as possible please [:D] (Time, Temperature, Smoking Bricks, Prep work, Brine Mix, etc)

Also, has anyone used these Brine Mixes by Hi Mountain Seasonings?  If so are they any good and which would be best for Rainbow Trout?

<b>Gourmet Fish Brine </b>- Blended with Brown Sugar and Maple Sugar
<b>Wild River Trout Brine </b>- Specialty designed for Trout, blended with honey and sugar

Thanks for the help!

Regards
Paul

Fuzzybear

Paul:

I've never brined my trout...just cleaned it, left the skin on, placed on the racks, smoked at 210 or so with apple for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.....sounds interesting though...good luck with it.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

zr2paul

I double posted this by accident.  I thought I was in this topic.

This is what I have come up with from all the information I could gather about smoking Rainbow Trout.

Once the Rainbow Trout has been cleaned and head cut off it can be prepared for smoking.  It is best to leave the Trout as a whole and not filleted.  You may use a brine or not...it's totally up to you.  The whole fish can be lightly oiled in the inside and outside and put some rosemary in the cavity.  Smoke the Trout at 220 Degrees for 2 hours (using Apple or Hickory), flipping it half way through the smoking process.  The Trout is ready for dinner.

Does this sound right?  Should I add any more ingredients inside the fish cavity?  Do I need to oil the grilles in the smoker or do I just oil the outside of the fish?  Which grille do I put the trout on?  Any more tips would be much appreciated!

Thanks
Paul

Fuzzybear

ZR2...sounds almost like a carbon copy of what I do except I leave the head on...the wife only likes 1 or 2 sprigs of Rosemary.  @ hours seems kind of long to me but I like the meat really moist and am afeared of drying it out.

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

Grubgriller

As a younger man, I used to sit on the back dock of a great old smoked fish joint on Tampa Bay and scarf as many smoked shrimp as I could afford to buy!. I have never really duplicated that taste, but here is how I do 'em in my demo Bradley smoker at my store.

I use shrimps that are at least 25-30's, otherwise they are too small and they dry out. Use the shrimps shell on.

I do brine them, but in addition to the brine mix of salt and sugar I add jubilee seafood seasoning (any brand you like will do). Brine 'em not more than 45 minutes and let them dry.

Before putting them in the smoker toss them in some olive oil to help keep them from drying out and sprinkle them lightly with your favorite seafood seasoning.

Start the smoker generator and get the smoke going, but do not start the heating element. You want to cold smoke them first. Leave the damper open and you may even need to crack the door occasionally. Do not overcook them at stage.

I load the smoker and hit them with 2 pucks of hickory and them back it up with 3 pucks of pecan.

Try to keep the smoker inside temp under 100 degrees. Watch the shells for any sign of drying and hit them with a little olive oil in a spray bottle.

Now, at this point you have a nice smoke flavor but the shrimp are not cooked. If you want to serve 'em as peel and eat, just crank up the heating element all the way up and watch em till they are done. Cooling them in an ice bath is important to prevent overcooking.

But, there is much more you can do with the cold smoked shrimp. You can peel them and put 'em in an alfredo sause over pasta. Just be sure to heat the sauce long enough to finish the cooking.

You can also saute them in butter and garlic. Also, if you want to surprise some people, take the cold smoked shrimp, peel them, batter or bread them and fry them.

These are gooooood and they are one of the most successful food demos that I do. When you explain how you can only acheive these results with this amount of ease with the Bradley, everyone understands why they need one.[:D]

Catch the next thing smokin'

owrstrich

dang grub...

my belly is growling after reading that...

i is allergic to iodine and shrimps make me swell up like the goodrich blemp... but i really dig giant scallops... im thinking about using the grub method on the scallop...

you need to get that recipe over here...

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3079

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

BOUTCH

Hi Paul[:)]
I am from Québec and my english is not very well because i translate the french on english and probably you will have fun to read me[:I]

But me i smoke trout and all my friend love it[:p]

i hope i will be able to give you my recipe correctly.[^]
first the brine.
it is for 5 pounds of trouts... ok
in a plastic plate always not in metal never.
40 once cold water
1 cup coarse salt
1 cup brown sugar or sirup maple
4 once cognac not to cheap[;)]
4 once honny
1 lemon
1 onion
2 clove of garlic
cut garlic, onion,
mixing all well until salt is dissolve.
put trout in and place to fridge for 18 hours

after rinse just a little bit under cold water verry little bit
wipe it with scott towel and less dry 2 hours.

for smoking ... me i smoke with apple or cherry.
and i keep the température at 57 degree celcius not more.
for about 6 to 7 hours to depend tickness of trout
and texture you love it.
and finaly for the best resultat put the trout on fridge for 24 hours to lest the somke and brine is finished.

hope you enjoy this recipe
 and if possible if you try it let me know if you have
successful[8D]

Habanero Smoker

Boutch;

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the translation, I have fun reading the information you provide, not in how it is translated. Often there are times I reread my own posts and can't make any sense out of it. I struggle enough using one language[:I]

Thanks for the recipe. I would like to try it but I have just one question. In your recipe you have "1 citrus"; does that mean one lemon? The English term for citrus can mean lemons, or oranges or grapefruit or any fruit in that group.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

iceman

Wow Boutch, that sounds good! 18 hours sounds a little long for brining but I'm going to try it. Thanks for posting that.[:)]

BOUTCH

Yes citrus= lemon sorry for this i have not check in dictionnary
[V]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Boutch;

Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about the translation, I have fun reading the information you provide, not in how it is translated. Often there are times I reread my own posts and can't make any sense out of it. I struggle enough using one language[:I]

Thanks for the recipe. I would like to try it but I have just one question. In your recipe you have "1 citrus"; does that mean one lemon? The English term for citrus can mean lemons, or oranges or grapefruit or any fruit in that group.

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

BOUTCH

Just for information lemon (1/4 cup juice)
my culin fillet trout is about 2 pounds each
it is why i smoke about 6 at (7) hours because
i love done to turn than underdcooked hope you know what i mean[;)]

and also you can keep in fridge 2 week
or many month in deep freeze.[:p]

BOUTCH

i have question[?]
how i can put picture in my message
thanks[:D]

Gordon

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by BOUTCH</i>
<br />i have question[?]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Well Boutch  all my friend ( I only have one) use this method.

First, have your picture on the Internet.  Use Photobucket, or the like, and have them "host" your picture.

After you do that, you will have a URL, or Internet address, for you picture.

copy that address then on this forum type a bracket [ then the letters "img" without the quotation marks then a close bracket ] then paste the address and end it with a bracktet [ then type "/img" and end it with a bracket ]

That will make you a picture.

All your base are belong to us.  Someone set up us the bomb.

Gordo
Unskyled layber

Hockeyfan

I am from Ontario and use a very similar receipe for smoking that Boutch does, it works well.  I generally prefer to use alder for the smoke base but the milder one work well.   I leave the head and skin on but cut out the fins and tail with a pair of kitchen shears. 
It tends to work well with all trout and salmon.  You can add white wine or sometimes I use a plum wine to make it a bit more fragrant.

I sometime make sandwiches with any leftovers that I add some mayo and onion and serve on buns.

I use coarse pickling salt or kosher salt depending on what I have on hand.

Hopefull Romantic

Quote from: BOUTCH on March 28, 2006, 05:52:05 PM
i have question[?]

I loved your recipy, bookmarked it and will try it As for posting pictures, follow this :

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=987

HR
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.