Another batch of salmon.

Started by Alusardi, December 10, 2019, 05:29:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alusardi

https://imgur.com/a/6Fo5Kwq

I have another batch of salmon ready for a cold smoke.  12 hours in a dry brine chilling in the fridge as we speak. I am gonna have to wait until after sunset to start the smoke. It's gonna be 85 today.
If you have been touched by an angel please tell an adult !

Lou

tsquared

What was in your dry brine: just salt or salt sugar? How did your first batch turn out?
T2

Alusardi

Tsquared, The dry brine was 2 cups light brown sugar and 1 cup kosher salt . My first batch had the same ratio but on this batch I forgot to add the fresh dill . I found out that the key to a good Texture on a dry brine is fresh fish. If has been previously frozen use a wet brine or else it will come out a lot firmer. . The cold smoke with the new cold smoker attachment went great. Ambient temp was 80 and by adding a two 2 liter soda pop  bottles of water I got the temp down to 72 degrees. 4 hour smoke with the "purple " special blend from amazon . It's in the freezer now waiting to be shipped to my brother in MN with a bunch of smoked cheese for Christmas.  I have ordered some fresh Spanish Mackerel from my local grocery store to make a hot smoked fish dip . I post how that came out next week .

" Frankenstein's monster was misunderstood " !
If you have been touched by an angel please tell an adult !

Lou