build up of used bisquettes, what to do?

Started by jonnypwa, February 20, 2013, 09:34:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonnypwa

Hi guys,

First time poster on here as I have had my smoker a few weeks but seem unable to stop my machine clogging up :(
I have been doing pork shoulder mainly and its a fair few hours i like to smoke it for, but im finding that after about two hours the spent bisquettes are building up in the bowl and blocking the fresh bisquettes from entering, then the moisture and head are expanding the bisquettes within the feeder tube and its becoming a huge wet mess, the bisquettes are bursting and filling every hole in the smoking unit...
on my last two smokes it has resulted in me having to take the feeder off the smoker and clean it half way through the smoke, I have been trying to open it every hour to clear and potential jams but as its running just now i seem to have the same problem again.

this is causing problems as its cosing me bisquettes which is putting the cost up and up not to mention every time i open it the heat takes a massive drop and it really struggles to get back up in temp again..

I hope there is something i can do to try and make my smoking a smoother process,

Thanks
JP

beefmann

sounds like your using to many briquettes

most use 9 to 12 bisquetts  when they smoke, if you are using  more, consider  half way through emepting the bowl and burnt pucks and go from there

mikecorn.1

Another solution would be to use a 9x13 pan in the bottom instead of the supplied water bowl.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

KyNola

If the pucks in the feeding tube are getting wet, you have a bigger problem than just the pucks stacking in the bowl.  The pucks stacking the bowl may mean that you need to have more water in the bowl and scoot the bowl a little further to the left so that the spent pucks drop into the center of the bowl..  Another alternative is to replace the small bowl with one of those disposable aluminum foil pans, that measures 9X9 or something along those lines.  Allows more water in the tray and larger space for them.

When you are running smoke, do you have your vent sufficiently open?  If the vent is closed the smoke, moisture and heat is backing up into your generator which will over time destroy it.  Sounds like that is the issue to me.  So much so that the moisture(condensation) is actually finding its way up into the feeder tube.  I have never ever heard of pucks getting wet in the feeder tube and disintegrating into a huge wet mess.  The issue has nothing to do with the pucks stacking in your water bowl.  Any chance you leave your smoker outside with pucks in the feeder tube when not in use?  If so, that could also be a reason they are getting wet.  Pucks should be stored in a dry airtight container.

beefmann

do you  leave pucks in the feed tube all the time? meaning  even when your not  smoking and cooking?... if so... stop,, the moisture in the air  will affect the pucks causing them to expand like you  described and continue to have problems. Only use Pucks for the current Smoke/ cook and place  the rest in either a air / water  tight container  .. tupperware type container works well 

Ketch22

welcome to the forum :)   Open vent happy Smoker :D

jonnypwa

thanks for the replies guys,

Most of the possible problems are not an issue as i smoke indoors and keep the machine fully dismantled and well cleaned in between smokes.

but the problems look to be arising from the jobs im putting it though as i do indeed use a hell of alot more bisquettes as i smoke around 8-10 hours solid, i have countered this problem by using a large tray and opening the door every two hours or so to ensure the spent bisquettes are moved about.

The next problem will be that i keep the vent fully shut for the full time, thanks to KyNola for bringing this one up, I was doing so as i was putting 4-6 1.5kg pork shoulders in at a time and trying to keep as much smoke in as possible for maximum flavour. this coupled with my fear of drying out the pork meant i opted to leave it shut and see what happened, with such a good pork as a result it never crossed my mind that this would have been a problem.

after a bit more research im going to get the cold smoke adaptor and use it to hot smoke food, meaning i can keep the closed vent to keep the moisture in the machine and not worry about causing myself problems with the moisture getting to the bisquettes (as this was causing some mess) and i cn easily tend to the water bowl and spent wood without losing too much of the heat and smoke from the main unit.

if I had the time i would love to get something like this sorted http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=31509.0
but for now getting a cold smoke adaptor and keeping the generator separate to try and keep it in the best condition i can

But I will be taking into account all your comments,
thanks very much for your help guys :)

JP

Little Bear Game Farm

Others may be able to tell you better, but with that much of a load, you may generate quite a buit of moisture in the smoker with the vent closed.  This can condense in the inside of the smoker and rain down on the meat.  I can say that I've never had a pork butt dry out with the vent open.  Also, the heat from the smoke generator may help the temps in the smoker. ???

Grouperman941

Why not just change the pan every couple of hours?
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

Swim Dad

Others will confirm this, but I strongly suggest you reconsider shutting your vent down.  You want fresh smoke not wet stale smoke on your meat. You will start getting black drippings on your meat. With all that moisture in there you will also have trouble keeping the temps up.  Most everyone here smokes with the vent wide open or near it.  Get a wire brush to clean off the puck burner.  Moist environment is good, steam bath not so good.

I am waiting on some suggestions in another thread about my pucks not burning well in the cold smoke adapter, so I would research that issue also.  I suspect that is not the best way to get maximum smoke. 

Keep reading here, you will pick up great tips and tricks.  It has helped me a lot and this board is filled with super advise.   Listen to them, they know their Bradleys.

Btw: Regarding the water pan.  I have used the half sized pans but have found I need to bend the back side down so it will fit under the heating element deflector.  Because the water level is therefor shallower than the water bowl my pucks tend to stack up faster and then continue to burn because they do not get submerged.  This negates one of the advantages of Bradley system in that part of the point is to extinguish the puck before it completely burns reducing the noxious chemicals released by wood in a charcoal state.  Just my experience.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

Tiny Tim

Also, even with the cold smoke adapter, keeping the vent closed will still result in the wet smoky air backing up through the SG, and you won't be solving any problems...maybe even create new ones, as there won't be a way for the smoke to "draft" up into the cabinet where your meat is located.

GusRobin

I have had my vent wide open since I took it out of the box. I don't think it will even move if I wanted it to. I have done full loads of jerky, pork butts, smoked a "from scratch" ham for 10 hrs, briskets, sausage, and poultry. While it may seem a contradiction, it cooks better and smokes better with the vent open (if not wide open at least partially --although I vote for wide open.)
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

STLstyle

Quote from: GusRobin on February 26, 2013, 05:57:55 PM
I have had my vent wide open since I took it out of the box. I don't think it will even move if I wanted it to. I have done full loads of jerky, pork butts, smoked a "from scratch" ham for 10 hrs, briskets, sausage, and poultry. While it may seem a contradiction, it cooks better and smokes better with the vent open (if not wide open at least partially --although I vote for wide open.)

Ditto

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

KyNola

My friend, please take it from me.  If you don't open your vent even when using the cold smoke adapter you are going to accomplish 3 things. 1. It will take you forever to complete your cooking process as you are capturing all of the moisture from the meat and the water bowl inside the cabinet.  A build up of moisture in the cabinet holds the temp DOWN with the vent closed. 2. You will eventually ruin whatever you are smoking as that same moisture is going to condensate on the top of the inside of your cabinet and drip a nasty tasting "black rain" onto whatever you are smoking and will also run down the walls and out the door of the cabinet thereby staining whatever it falls on and finally 3. you are going to destroy your smoke generator....period.

Open your vent. 

TedEbear

Quote from: jonnypwa on February 26, 2013, 12:46:59 PM

but the problems look to be arising from the jobs im putting it though as i do indeed use a hell of alot more bisquettes as i smoke around 8-10 hours solid,

8-10 hours of adding smoke is way too long.  Most everyone on here does the smoke part for no more than 3-4 hours, sometimes even less.  Once the meat starts cooking it gets to a point that it no longer absorbs much additional smoke.