Opinions Requested

Started by MoHuka, February 24, 2013, 09:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoHuka

I am doing my first smoke with Auber dual probe and Maverick 732 with 2nd element.  I reset the P value to 140 as sugested on this forum.  I am an hour into 3 racks of BB ribs and my readings are:

Maverick - 219 Oven and 106 IT
Auber - 203 Oven and 92 IT
Bradley 268

Hoping the Bradley is not correct.  I have the Auber set for 225 Oven and 180 IT

What do you all think?
MoSmoker

STLstyle

Make sure your temp sensors are under the ribs and at least a couple of inches away from the meat.

I have a BBQ guru so others will have to assist on tech adjustments to the Auber if that's the problem.

The meat temp could be misleading for ribs on the maverick.  Their sensor seems to be farther back vs on the tip of the probe so I have trouble also on thinner pieces of meat.  I was getting faulty readings on chicken yesterday even though I just verified calibration via a water test.

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

beefmann

based on my experiences the pid and bradley door thermometer never matches .  so your temps are close other wise so go ahead and proceed .. when  you  get  close to 150 IT on any .. . pull and take a taste test then make a  decision

MoHuka

Thanks Beefman, my Bradley is a digital..does the same hold true?  I have the oven probes for the Auber and Maverick on the bottom of the bottom rack which is holding 2 bricks wrapped in foil to also answer STLstyle
MoSmoker

classicrockgriller

You may want to "Auto Tune" your Auber during your next smoke.

I know I had to when I added the second element.

Habanero Smoker

That is quite a wide discrepancy between the three cabinet probes. Were do you have the Maverick and Auber probes located, compared to the location of the Bradley sensor?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

MoHuka

I have the Auber and Maverick next to each other on the bottom of the bottom tray holding the bricks..not sure where the Bradley sensor is at..after 4 hours the Auber and the Maverick are within 10 degrees of each other, both Oven and IT...Not sure about the Bradley as the smoke session is completed..
MoSmoker

Habanero Smoker

As suggested, you may want to auto tune the Auber. Also you may want to check the accuracy of the Maverick and Auber probes, with a Boiling Water Test. Those two should not be that far off in their readings. The high temperature of the Bradley sensor, that mystifies me.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

MoHuka

Can you do the boiling water test with both the oven and the IT probes on the Auber and Maverick?  I will do as you suggest before next smoke...Like you I dont know what to think of the high Bradley reading...the ribs do not seem to be cooking too fast so guessing the Auber is keeping the temp in  the correct range..just checked and the Auber and Maverick are within 7 degrees of each other
MoSmoker

classicrockgriller

The Auto tune has to be done during a smoke after everything

has warmed up good.

There are instructions on the recipe site.

That will put the Auber in tune with the way Your smoker smokes.

SmokinSignals

MoHuka
Do you have the bricks blocking heat to the front side of the cabinet which is forcing more heat up the backside to the bradley probe?

GusRobin

Quote from: SmokinSignals on February 24, 2013, 03:10:58 PM
MoHuka
Do you have the bricks blocking heat to the front side of the cabinet which is forcing more heat up the backside to the bradley probe?
That is what I was thinking. Why are you using bricks? Most people use bricks to retain heat so they can recoup temps quicker. But with the 2nd element you should not need the bricks.
Also, I have not sure how reliable meat probes in ribs are do to the lack of thickness. Don't know about others but after 5 hours I just do a toothpick tenderness test.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

Quote from: MoHuka on February 24, 2013, 10:48:32 AM
Thanks Beefman, my Bradley is a digital..does the same hold true?  I have the oven probes for the Auber and Maverick on the bottom of the bottom rack which is holding 2 bricks wrapped in foil to also answer STLstyle

I believe the digital temp of the bds and the door thermometer will rarely match considering the element is in the back where the heat sensor is vs. the front... and heat rises... so there  will be   some temp differences

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: MoHuka on February 24, 2013, 01:22:13 PM
Can you do the boiling water test with both the oven and the IT probes on the Auber and Maverick?  I will do as you suggest before next smoke...Like you I dont know what to think of the high Bradley reading...the ribs do not seem to be cooking too fast so guessing the Auber is keeping the temp in  the correct range..just checked and the Auber and Maverick are within 7 degrees of each other

Yes; just make sure you only place the very tips of the probes in the water; that is where the sensors are. You will need to take care and prevent the wired ends from being submerged. Because the oven probe is much shorter, you need to be careful to not submerge it. Also test the probes towards the middle of the pot; away from the metal sides. The 7 degrees difference is still too large. Even the cheap digital thermometers are generally accurate to +/- 2°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

paulsnapp

I also use a Maverick 732 with my BDS/dual elements.  What I found when I check all of my probes in both boiling water and a glass of ice water was that the Auber probes matched and the Maverick probes matched but the Maverick probes were 3F higher than the Aubers in all cases.  Since the Aubers were right on 32F in the glass of ice water I choose to use them as my standard and subtract 3F from the Mavericks when reading.  The Bradley heat sensor in the back wall of my smoker will read anywhere from 20F to 30F higher than my Auber and Maverick probes when I place them at the same level and at the back of the rack.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod