Opinions Requested

Started by MoHuka, February 24, 2013, 09:58:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MoHuka

Thanks to everyone for the input. The ribs turned out good.  I used the meat probes just because I had a new dual Auber and a new dual Maverick and wanted to try them out..in the end I used a toothpick to determine they were done.  I also used the bricks to reduce the recovery time which was about 10 minutes after removing the ribs to boat.  I agree that they might be the cause of the variations in temperature and probably not needed with 2nd element.  I will post pics that show the placement.  About the ribs....I marinated overnight in a marinade of ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, salt and Dr. Pepper. 

Ribs out of the marinade and ready for the smoker

Ribs in the smoker with bricks..new Auber, Maverick and Suncast house

Photobucket went down for maintenance just now so I can not post the last picure of what was left of 3 slabs of bread and a loaf of easy crusty bread..(not much)...thanks again
MoSmoker

MoHuka

First of all thanks to everyone who sent me suggestions and ideas.  I used the meat probes as I had a new dual Auber and dual Maverick and I wanted to try them out and in the end I used a toothpick to determine they were done.  I used the bricks to reduce the recovery time which was about 10-minutes when I removed the ribs to boat.  Porbably dont need them with the dual element and may have been the cause of the heat variations.  I m enclosing a photo that hows their placement.  About the ribs..I marinated 3-racks overnight in a mixture of ketchup, brown sugar, soy sauce, salt and Dr. Pepper.  I gave them 3 hours of oak and cooked at 225 until done:
The ribs out of the marinade and ready for the smoker

In the Bradley with new Auber, Maverick and Suncast home

What was left of 3 racks of ribs and a loaf of Easy Crusty Bread

Thanks again to everyone..really having fun with the smoker and this forum
MoSmoker

KyNola

Noticed in your pics there was no water bowl in the tray.  Maybe you had not put it in when the pic was made, yes?  Otherwise, you were fortunate to not have a grease fire.  Pork fat from the ribs dripping on to smoldering pucks equals FIRE!

SmokinSignals

There are a bunch of wires going in that smoker, but the ribs look fantastic.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: KyNola on February 25, 2013, 06:08:59 PM
Noticed in your pics there was no water bowl in the tray.  Maybe you had not put it in when the pic was made, yes?  Otherwise, you were fortunate to not have a grease fire.  Pork fat from the ribs dripping on to smoldering pucks equals FIRE!
Looks like he's using a 9x13" pan :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

SmokinSignals

MoHuka,
Did you get your problem solved?

KyNola

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on February 25, 2013, 06:58:21 PM
Quote from: KyNola on February 25, 2013, 06:08:59 PM
Looks like he's using a 9x13" pan :)
On closer look I think you are correct Mike.  Thanks for checking me on that!

MoHuka

Yes, you are correct I have a 9x13 pan that I kept topped off through the entire session.  I have not done any smoking or testing since the ribs but will do the boiling water test and not use the bricks next time

The wires are 2 for the PID and 2 for the Maverick.  Due to the exhaust I have to put them all throught the door...

Thanks again for all the help..this forum is great....
MoSmoker

mikecorn.1

Quote from: MoHuka on February 26, 2013, 06:00:38 AM
Yes, you are correct I have a 9x13 pan that I kept topped off through the entire session.  I have not done any smoking or testing since the ribs but will do the boiling water test and not use the bricks next time

The wires are 2 for the PID and 2 for the Maverick.  Due to the exhaust I have to put them all throught the door...

Thanks again for all the help..this forum is great....
I find that for me, putting the wires in the
Door seal works better for me. Especially when rotating racks.

Mike

Swim Dad

I need to try  the door thing. Do you get any leakage? 

The probes on the Auber are just to short.  Someone has a little shelf above the SG to hold it and I like that idea. 

I had to order a new cabinet sensor from Auber a couple of months ago and it looks like Suyi has put some sealant on the end of the probe now. 

I fried my old one using it a sensor in the kitchen oven and when we were done somehow it got put on broil and I cooked it good.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

NePaSmoKer

classicrockgriller

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 26, 2013, 10:02:00 AM
whats all them cables for?

that "Outlaw" ClassicRock FM station broadcasting from the Bahamas!

mikecorn.1

Quote from: Swim Dad on February 26, 2013, 09:12:13 AM
I need to try  the door thing. Do you get any leakage? 

The probes on the Auber are just to short.  Someone has a little shelf above the SG to hold it and I like that idea. 

I had to order a new cabinet sensor from Auber a couple of months ago and it looks like Suyi has put some sealant on the end of the probe now. 

I fried my old one using it a sensor in the kitchen oven and when we were done somehow it got put on broil and I cooked it good.
next to nothing or nothing at all.

Mike

MoHuka

I did the boiling water test and came up with the following results.  What do you all think?

Maverick Oven - 212
Maverick Food - 214

Auber Oven - 208
Auber Food - 212

Cooper Instant read - 212

I have the same 4 degrees oven temp difference in the test as I had when I had the ribs in

Thanks in advance for your ideas
MoSmoker

Swim Dad

Those look fairly good to me.  I am a little surprised by the Auber oven being off that much.  You might want to try it again and also with the ice water to see what you get. 

If you are so inclined the Auber does have a calibration setting in the programming.  Just look it up in the manual.

It may be overkill but you can find out what your barometric pressure is and plug that into an online calculator to find out what the exact boiling point of water is at that moment.  IIRC lower pressure means a lower boiling point.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)