Permanent cold smoke adapter setup and a few other issues.

Started by Swim Dad, February 25, 2013, 07:49:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swim Dad

So I finally set up the my cold smoke adapter after getting it a year ago.  My intention was to leave it set up that way. 

Temp was about 30 F and was not getting as much smoke as normal.  Pucks were burning about 1/2 to 2/3 from bottom to top.  Mesquite and apple.  Burner plate is clean and most of the pucks were fresh. 

My assumption is with the low ambient temp and less heat because the burner is outside the cabinet the pucks are not burning correctly. At least not as thoroughly as they usually burn most of the way with maybe just a small V on top unburied.  Brisket still cooking so will see if it had an effect on flavor.

Has anyone experienced similar issues?  Is it a common problem with warmer ambient temps?

I have also been wondering for awhile if the advance is pushing the puck far enough.  I would say a 1/4 of puck stays on the ramp and not the burner plate.  Normal ?

It is not a huge issue if I need to switch it up for different applications, just more convenient to leave it.  I suppose a it is little safer also as it is hard to keep a packer from not touching the walls.  I cold smoke steaks, chops and yard bird breasts frequently before grilling.

Also I have been having an intermittent manual advance issue.  Sometimes it just won't do it and I have to prime the SG, no problems with auto advance.  I took the SG apart, cleaned it out, reseated the connector, that seemed to help for one smoke, but them problem started back up.  Still intermittent, last night it worked fine.   Is the problem likely with the button or other electronics? 

I installed my new faceplate and new feet and want to install my new door.  I have been limping along with the old one until I had a more permanent location set up.  I see how the door lifts off the bottom pin, but can't figure out how the pin lifts out of the bracket on the top.  Any ideas?  Brian sent me a new door a couple of years ago under warranty.  Great guy.

One last issue (for now). I noticed a pinpoint bright glow on the left end of the second element where the wire attaches.  It was dark so I have not located the exact point where it is occurring.  I assume this is not a good thing.  Maybe the nut is loose? 

Thanks all.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

SmokinSignals

Tighten that nut up, it will cause a failure if it continues.