Need no sugar low carb sauces

Started by Swim Dad, February 26, 2013, 10:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swim Dad

Wife is Celiac and we are both now on the Paleo/Primal diet.  So we need sauce recipes with no sugar, soy, grains, legumes etc. 

Have had success with no sugar vaunted vinegar, but the tomato based sauces have been just a little to tomato pasty for me.  She as been buying some online and are ok, but just looking for some ideas.  If we can find a few we like, would like to can some.  She has all the equipment.

The commercial one the whole family can agree one was Sweet Baby Rays Honey BBQ.  A little (lot) over the top on sweet, but worked.  Now off the menu and trying to branch out.  We prefer to stay on the sweeter side vs hot. 

We can use sweeteners such as Stevia, Tuvia, and to lesser degree coconut sugar. 

I appreciate any idea you have.
OBS duel element, duel PID
Weber Genesis 1000 (very old)
Dog
Kids
Wife
(in that order)

ChubbyBadnews

Unfortunately, fat = flavour.

Sorry, not much help.  Best of luck
All hail the pig... hom nom nom

GusRobin

Try these. I haven't made them but someone posted them a while back and i saved them.

Low Cal-Diabetic Sauce   Cups   2
Reduced sugar ketchup   cups   0.5
Diet Dr. Pepper   cup   1.5
Soy sauce   tbs   1
cider vinegar   tbs   1
Worcestershire sauce   tbs   2
sugar free pancake syrup   tbs   2
yellow mustard   tbs   2
liquid smoke   tbs   1
Splenda   tbs   1
Olive oil   tbs   1
garlic powder   tsp   1
chili powder   tsp   1
black pepper   tsp   1
gound cumin   tsp   0.5
chopped small onion   each   1
minced clove of garlic   each   1
ground clove   pinch   1
hot sauce   A/R   1
Add 1/4 cup Diet Dr Pepper and the olive oil to a 2 quart sauce pan. Saute onion and garlic until translucent, 4-5 minutes. Stir in remaining Diet Dr Pepper and all remaining ingredients until well blended. Reduce heat to low and let simmer 20-30 minutes. Pour onto blender and blend until smooth. Will keep in fridge up to one week.      

Low Cal-Diabetic Sauce # 2   Cups   2
tomato paste   oz   6
Water   cup   1.5
salt   tsp   0.5
wine vinegar   cup   0.25
Worcestershire sauce   tsp   1
Splenda granular   tbs   2
ground mustard   tsp   1
Olive oil   tsp   1
chopped garlic cloves   each   3
black pepper   tsp   0.25
chopped small onion   each   0.5
liquid smpoke   tsp   1
cayenne pepper   A/R   1
Heat the oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion slowly until very soft and slightly golden, 5 minutes. Add the garlic and cook 30 seconds more. Stir in the tomato paste and increase the heat to medium high. Cook, stirring, until the tomato paste thickens. Whisk in the water, vinegar, mustard powder, salt, pepper, Splenda Granular, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke (if using), and cayenne. Simmer the sauce for 15 to 20 minutes to mellow the flavors. Refrigerate in a covered container until ready to use.      

"Nutrition
Servings 16
Serving Size 2 Tbsp.
Exchanges Free Food
Amount Per Serving
Calories 17
Calories From Fat 4
Total Fat 0 g (Saturated Fat 0 g)
Cholesterol 0 mg
Sodium 92 mg
Carbohydrate 3 g (Dietary Fiber 1 g, Sugars 1 g) 
Protein 1g"      

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Caneyscud

When I don't want the carbs - I just leave off the sauce. - which for me is almost every time.  I like to let the meat speak for itself with accents supplied by the rub and full-fledged roundhouse punches provided by the smoke.  Most of the time the rub is simple - salt, pepper, granulated garlic, and some red pepper - with the emphasis on the salt and pepper.  But that is a factor of what I like and where I came from and who I learned under.  I realize most seem to like sweet bbq with heavy sweet sauces, so I will serve sauce on the side when I think I have guests that will demand it.  Hardly ever cook with a sweet rub and almost never with a heavy sweet sauce.  If I have to finish off with a sweet sauce - I will cut a commercial sauce down with some sort of liquid - something like a diet sprite, a beer, some wine, vinegar/water, etc....  This makes a thin glaze.  If I have to make a sauce - and I am DMII - I don't use much sugar either - I'll start with tomato sauce and cut it with the above liquids adding herbs and spices until I get the taste I want - then add Splenda until I get the sweetness I want.  Add a little or your meat juices and/or a little CYM, and/or some soy, and/or a little butter.   Recipe?  --  Aww who needs one of them stinking recipes? 

Typically my sauce is a mopping sauce of Butter/margarine, beer, CYM, onions, lemons, salt and pepper. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

SiFumar

I agree with Caney....I'd rather leave the sauce off.  Since I'm not a fan of sweet it works for me!

4given

When we are lo carbing it we like to make an white sauce here is a recipe for a "Big Bob Gibsons" style sauce from the recipie board.

The ORIGINAL "Big Bob Gibson's White BBQ Sauce"
From ChefBill

This is Big Bob Gibson's "WHITE SAUCE" Being born & Raised in Decatur, AL; Gibson's BBQ is Old Hat to me. I was eating his BBQ in the late 40's and my Mother had his recipe for the ORIGINAL "White Sauce" when I was just a kid.

In the 40's his BBQ stand was nothing more than a big screened room with about 4 tables and a BBQ pit + a couple of old residential refrigerators and a table with a sink to work on. Man, today the health departments would lock him under the jail.. I got the recipe straight from her after I got married.

Original INGREDIENTS: Straight from the man himself over 60 years ago•1/2 gal. salad dressing (Known as MAYONNAISE today)
•1/2 gal. White cider vinegar
•1/2 cup lemon juice
•3/4 Cup Black Pepper
•1-1/2 Tablespoons salt
•2 teaspoons Cayenne Pepper
Cut by 1/8th to save you math challenged people some work.
•1 Cup MAYONNAISE
•1 Cup WHITE CIDER VINEGAR
•1 Tablespoon LEMON JUICE
•1-1/2 Tablespoons BLACK PEPPER
•1/2 teaspoon SALT
•1/4 teaspoon CAYENNE PEPPER

PREPARATION:1.Mix ingredients together and refrigerate for at least 8 hours (preferably over night) before using.
2.Dip the chicken halves when they come off the grill and are still hot.
This White Sauce is a great dipping sauce so, keep some on the table while pigging out or should I say "Chickening out". This sauce has a real Vinegar Tang to it.

NOTE:The commercial verson is made with a lot of other ingredients to make it keep at room temp; give it the same basic taste and consistancy + pass all the FDA rules.

Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

Habanero Smoker

I understand you want a sweet sauce, but what type of sauce? Such as, are you looking for tomato or mustard based; thick or thin? Or any type of sauce that goes with smoked meats and barbeque.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)