Jerky too chewy?

Started by paulsnapp, February 26, 2013, 05:46:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulsnapp

With help from this forum, my jerky is getting better and better.  As others try it though, they tell me it is still just a little chewy.  I would like to have some opinions on how to fix this.  I have been using Angus eye of round cuts.  My jerky board for cutting is 1/4"  but I have added a couple of plastic sheets and now I am cutting it at 3/16" thick.  I use Hunter's Blend seasoning from HiMountain jerky.  After cut in strips and seasonings applied, I vacuum out the air and seal the bag.  I keep this in the refridgerator for at least 24 hours.  Here are my smoking steps in my BDS with dual elements, fan mod and Auber PID:

130F for 1 hour
140 for 1.2 hours with hickory smoke
145 for 1.3 hours with hickory smoke
150 for 1 hour
155 for 1 hour
160 for .5 to 1 hour

Do I need to keep in the smoker a shorter time or a longer time so that it is less chewy?  I have tried the bending method to determine when it is done but I still don't quite get it.  If I leave it in longer till it breaks just a couple of fibers when I bend it the batch seems to turn out too hard when it finally cools down.  The last batch I tried bending it and looking for the white fibers to appear as I read here on this forum.  I found them at about 6 hours.  What would you suggest to be less chewy?  Thanks
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

Tenpoint5

Make sure that you are cutting across the grain of the meat.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!