Any one online that can help with my Bradley smoker

Started by captsmoke, February 28, 2013, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captsmoke

Hello I own a DBS and auber doul probe pid and my smoker will not get up to temp ? It's in my garage and I'm trying to smoke brisket as we speak ! It's been 4hr and won't get over 200 ? What am I doing wrong ?

captsmoke

Oh I set the Auber pid to cook at 225 and to stop at temp of 180 too

mikecorn.1

Could be that the briskie was too cold when you put it in, wind is out of the equation, IS YOUR VENT OPEN?  Are you running one stock element or is it dualed out or do you have a 900w

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

mikecorn.1

Are you running the smoker in an extension cord or have any other things on the same outlet? If you got 4 hours of smoke on it, you can always put it in the house oven to finish it.

Mike

Wildcat

Got a lot of stuff in the smoker? As Mike indicated, meat temp and size of load will have a big impact on the first half of the cook. A cabinet temp of 200 is fine (especially at the beginning). You can do the entire cook at that temp. It will just take time.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

mikecorn.1

Quote from: captsmoke on February 28, 2013, 03:18:49 PM
Oh I set the Auber pid to cook at 225 and to stop at temp of 180 too
I set my PID to 225 or whatever I want to cook at but never set it to stop at a certain temp. I use the food probe as a guide and I like to check with my thermapen.

Mike

captsmoke

It's a stock element , the meat was wet with mustard and seasoning when it went in . The Vent was closed ! I opened it a few minutes ago and the temp went up a bit and meat internal temp went down ? Should the oven be on or just the auber pid modular thing ? I have the smoke part on with the Bradley .

captsmoke

The smoker is full ! And it is plugged into a extension cord ! Should I wait it out or put it In the oven ?

mikecorn.1

It should all be on. With one stock element I would leave the smoke generator on to get additional heat. Helps a lot.
When you close the vent, you are trapping tons of moisture in there and the smoker is working harder to heat all of it up plus the meat. Also the smoke can an will back up and out of the smoke generator and over time can ruin your SG.

Mike

captsmoke

The auber pid reads temp 191 meat temp 148 okay ! The Bradley smoker reads temp 234 of the oven too ? Big discrepancy don't you think ?

mikecorn.1

Just my opinion, I don't see a need for a PID if you are running a stock element. Others might have a different opinion on this.
It doesn't give you any extra heat. I have dual 500w elements and have no issues keeping temps at 225 or above steady within 1 to 2 degrees.

Mike

captsmoke

I just bought it just because .. First time using it really seems like I need the bigger element where do you get them ? Thanks for the advise so quick you guys too !

mikecorn.1

Quote from: captsmoke on February 28, 2013, 03:31:24 PM
The auber pid reads temp 191 meat temp 148 okay ! The Bradley smoker reads temp 234 of the oven too ? Big discrepancy don't you think ?
The stock thermometer is not that accurate. Most here use a stand alone like Maverick et732. To monitor temps. I don't know if running the stock element whether you would of have to run the autotune feature on the PID. I know that when you change out the stock for another setup, you do. Maybe some one can clarify this.

Mike

beefmann

welcome aboard and others have you  set  stright

mikecorn.1

Quote from: captsmoke on February 28, 2013, 03:34:43 PM
I just bought it just because .. First time using it really seems like I need the bigger element where do you get them ? Thanks for the advise so quick you guys too !
Hold up, getting website for you ;D

Mike