Any one online that can help with my Bradley smoker

Started by captsmoke, February 28, 2013, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captsmoke

Must have been that I had the vent closed ! It's slowly climbing up .. I did open the cabnit too look and the element is Red and there was moisture running down the door ?

mikecorn.1

Mike

mikecorn.1

Quote from: captsmoke on February 28, 2013, 03:41:48 PM
Must have been that I had the vent closed ! It's slowly climbing up .. I did open the cabnit too look and the element is Red and there was moisture running down the door ?
That will mess you up every time or at least the first time ;D. No biggie, we all have made our fair share of mistakes. Take a look at the site I posted for you. Great customer service. They sell everything for the unit.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

captsmoke

EZ Smoker

Taking the other side of the previous discussion, I loved having my PID when I just had one element.  Even for brisket.  The reason is that I never had to worry about the temp in the cabinet.  I just set it and forget it.  Beautiful. 

It may seem like I'm rubbing salt in the wound, but the truth is I'm trying to cure it.

mikecorn.1

Quote from: captsmoke on February 28, 2013, 03:46:17 PM
Is that the best element to get ?
It's a stock element, you would basically add it with the one it came with and will give you 1000w of cooking power.  This is where the PID comes into play. It will control both of them. You have to autotune the pid when you do the mod. There is a tutorial on the website I pm'd you on how to install it. Pretty easy. When you are ready, just post away your questions and you will get plenty of help. You can also ask about the single 900w element that some have put in.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Wildcat

PID is not really needed for what you are cooking. It will only help to keep a constant cabinet temp assuming you can get it up to the cabinet temp you want. I do not need one but I have one and use it all the time because I like the constant temp and do not have to worry about it getting too hot if I decide to leave the house. Of course as a safety issue, I do not have it too close to the house. I use mine on an open patio.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

rexster

Remember brisket doesn't start getting tender until it hits 180/190. An old bbq'r told me when you think a brisket is done, cook it some more. That has always held true for me.
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

TedEbear

Quote from: captsmoke on February 28, 2013, 03:28:57 PM
The smoker is full ! And it is plugged into a extension cord ! Should I wait it out or put it In the oven ?

The extension cord isn't helping, either.  Unless it's a heavy duty cord like something designed to be used on a refrigerator it won't let enough current pass through and it will "choke" your smoker.  I believe it says in the owner's manual to not use an extension cord.

KyNola

KyNola

KyNola

All you need to do is open your vent.  A closed vent traps all of the moisture coming off of the water bowl and the moisture coming out of the brisket. That holds the temp DOWN in the tower as well as making that stuff you saw dripping down the walls.  That same stuff will condensate on the top of the inside of your tower and drip a very foul tasting black rain on to your brisket.  A closed vent will also back the smoke up into your smoke generator, effectively destroying it.

Open your vent, wide open.

Habanero Smoker

There is a FAQ section on the recipe site that will help you narrow down the problem quickly. That section may not solve your problem, but will provide a lot of answers, and narrow in on  the issue(s) before you post on the board.

Bradley Smoker FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

paulsnapp

If you purchased the Auber Dual Probe PID for the Bradley smoker - the programming is alread set for the single element.  "P" value will be at 70.  Just a matter of opinion, the PID is a good thing even with a single element because it will control the temperature without the over and undershoots.  The Bradley DBS will over and undershoot the target temp by 30F.  Also, the DBS temp sensor location is about 2/3 of the way up and on the back wall right where the heat comes up from the single element.  It will always read much higher that the actual tower or food temp.
Bradley 4 Rack Digital Smoker
Auber Dual Probe PID Controller
Second Heating Element Mod
Smoke and Stuff Fan Mod

charlesk

I have 4 rack DBS and did the dual element mod because of temp issues and long regain temps if you opened the door.
Dual element mod instructions can be found on www.susanminor.org forum.
I have single probe Auber PID controller The manual comes on a disk with the controller and if you have a dual element you have to go into the settings of the PID  and change the "P" setting. You change the initial  setting of 70 to 140 . No auto run is required after you change this.
I also bought a Maverick 732 from amazon and with this combo I am extremely happy with the smokers performance, a little ticked at Bradley because I had to do this. Got the elements from Bradley and the PID from Auber.
Hope this helps
4 Rack DBS, dual element mod, Auber single probe PID, Maverick temp probe