Anyone smokin' ABT's

Started by BigSmoker, June 28, 2004, 10:55:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cold Smoke</i>
<br />Does size really matter? (Kirk,here's a big fat one -middle of the plate for you)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Hey, it's no fun if you've already figured out the punch line![:D]

I do know, that in the pepper world, the smaller the pepper, the higher the heat...applying to each species in general. I have no idea if that equally translates to within the species. From the peppers I've had it seems to be kind of erratic.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Hot Smokin Gal

I haven't personally tried BBQ hot peppers but this does sound good.  I DO know that growing conditions (soil, how hot the temp has been, how dry or wet the ground has been) does definitely affect how hot the peppers are.  Everyone laughs that all we grow is salsa.  We plant tomatoes, hot peppers (jalapenos, banana peppers, habaneros), and green peppers.  My early season canning last year (I end up doing a lot of canning) the peppers weren't very hot and my salsas and chili mix jars were very bland.  The ones I got out late in the season were much hotter, but not nearly as hot as the previous years harvest.  

This year I went different  Planted the usual tomatoes and several kinds of peppers, but also planted beans and cukes for making spicy dill pickles.  I bet you guys would like them.  Baby dills pickled in with jalepeno and pepper corns and garlic - delishious with just enough zing to them.  My hubby is also fond of hot pickled veggies.  Don't know if my garden is going to make it this year.  TERRIBLE weather for growing around here.  Cold late spring, flooding in June that you may have seen on CNN as North Fondy was declared disaster area by Feds and I know I caught some footage of Oshkosh WI on CNN, that was followed by 2 weeks of very hot dry weather, then more rain, rain, rain, thankfully without more flooding, and now it has turned colder than heck for this time of year.  We're in the 50 - 60's daytime and low 40's at night.  Usually sweletering dog days in August.  Strange year.

BigSmoker

Found this variation of ABT preperation.  

http://www.chilegrill.com/
Happy Smokin'

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

nsxbill

Jeff,

How come it doesn't say Atomic Buffalo Turd Grill?  This looks pretty cool...where did you see it pictured, or where did you get it?

BIll
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

The link to their site is under the picture.  They are made of stainless and are a little pricy.  Thought some of the folks here might have some ideas on a homemade job.  They definitely got the name wrong though[:)]

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

MallardWacker

WOW somebody really likes ABT's to think of that.  I have found using a long metal skewer works the best, holds about six or seven and I can get two skewers to a rack, easy to clean up and no tooth picks...  Thats the only problem with that idea I may see, looks impresive.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

str1der

If any one is interested I found some ABT racks at Wally World yesterday. They were $5 and each holds 12 peppers. I'm going to try my own twist on these this weekend. I'm going to cut the tops off, scoop out the seeds then stuff with a mixture of cream cheese and pepper jam. Not sure if I will put bacon on top or not. My thought is the sweetness of the cheese and jam will compliment the heat of the peppers.

Smok'em if you got'em

psdubl07

I did some a couple nights ago for the 1st time, man were they tasty.  I didn't have any leftover pulled pork, so I just cooked a few pieces of the bacon and chopped that up into the cream cheese.  A bit of rub w/ some extra pepper, onion powder and paprika, wrapped in bacon and smoked for 1 hour w/ Pecan.  Crank the heat up for 10 more minutes to crisp the bacon up a bit....WHOOOOOEEEEEE!  YUM!