Thinking of buying-need help

Started by MIKEZ629, March 04, 2013, 09:59:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MIKEZ629

I read online that you can not use an extension cord to plug in...you have to plug directly into an outlet. Is that true? and why is that. This is important for the location of my smoker.

Thanks

mikecorn.1

You can use an extension cord just has too be as short ad possible and a big gauge. There are plenty of thread in the forum on this. Try to do a search. Others will be by with more info.
At work now ;)

Edit: Got this online, source (Amazingribs.com)

Extension cords
The built-in cords are often not long enough, and regular household extension cords will not carry enough juice to keep you electric smoker going. They could become a fire hazard as they heat up trying to deliver power to the unit. To extend the cord you need a large capacity cable as measured in amps.
Here's how to figure out what you need: watts รท voltage = amps.
If your smoker needs 500 watts, and typical household voltage is 110-120 volts, then you need a cable that has a capacity of 4.17 amps.
A rule of thumb: For home models, get at least a 10 amp 12 gauge three prong cord (12 gauge is higher capacity than 14 gauge). That's more than you need, but better safe than sorry. The best solution: Have an electrician custom make a cord the proper length for you. Don't buy a cable much longer than you need it because the longer the cable the higher the resistance and the power diminishes. You don't want to see the equations for that.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

classicrockgriller

Hi Mike

You can use an extention cord but it should be a short 15' or less heavy duty cord.

You should also look at the plug you think you are going to use and see what else

is using that power. ie: a freezer, icebox, etc.

The Bradley will require a certain amount of power just dedicated to itself.

I'm sure others will give the the more details of this.

beefmann

i run a 14 gage 3 conductor extension cord from the outlet to my Pid Controller , also  run a 900 watt element with  a blower am pulling 9.75 amps at load with a voltage reading of 117.5 under load, with no load at controller it reads 120 or 121 so i have no worries here,

14 gage is rated at 15 amps per national electric code and 12 gage is rated at 20 amp if you  have lower voltage readings at your home  run a heavier gage wire

RedJada

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 04, 2013, 10:45:28 AM
Hi Mike

You can use an extention cord but it should be a short 15' or less heavy duty cord.

You should also look at the plug you think you are going to use and see what else

is using that power. ie: a freezer, icebox, etc.

The Bradley will require a certain amount of power just dedicated to itself.

I'm sure others will give the the more details of this.

I use a 10' 12g cord. But I think what classicrockgriller mentioned is more important. You really want to have a dedicated outlet.