Converted - Charcoal to Electric

Started by wowooo20, March 12, 2013, 09:33:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wowooo20

What's going on?  I'm glad to be here, and am from Northern Virginia area.   I have retired from charcoal smoking to the Bradley 4 rack digital which Amazon gave me a hooked up deal on.  I feel like I am moving on from what was like babysitting an infant to now babysitting toddlers.  Us mom's and dad's out there know the difference  ;D There will be less maintenance, but I'm still as passionate about the end result.   I look forward to sharing my wins and losses, as I can see is what happens here on this forum. 

I'm wide open to advice, learning again, sharing, and supporting this forum. 

I've traditionally smoked things less than 8 hours because of the heavy lifting of temperature control, so I am looking forward to a 12-18 hour soak of some of the things I haven't pursued smoking before.

Take it easy everyone, and feel free to share anything that you believe might be helpful.

Steve

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard.

Grab you a cold adult beverage and sit back and do some reading then start firing them questions. I have a 4 and 6 rack digital no modifications not needed in my book.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

GusRobin

"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: wowooo20 on March 12, 2013, 09:33:39 AM
I look forward to sharing my wins and losses, as I can see is what happens here on this forum. 

I'm wide open to advice, learning again, sharing, and supporting this forum. 

Steve

Welcome to the Forum Steve!

Advice, Sharing and Learning should be all our goal in supporting the Forum.

Have fun and ask questions if needed.

wowooo20

Thank you.  I've already read enough to have been inspired to buy a Maverick ET732 dual temp gauge.  I have an instant read for IT only, and used the temp gauge built in to monitor the chamber temp.  The next decision....what will be my first experiment, and getting alot of great ideas. 

TedEbear

Quote from: wowooo20 on March 12, 2013, 11:34:41 AMThe next decision....what will be my first experiment, and getting alot of great ideas.

Pork butts are easy and forgiving.  Welcome to the forum.   :)

wowooo20

I'm leaning in the pork butt direction.  I've never done it before again because of time.

Here come the questions:
So many cuts of meat to choose from:  What should I consider when selecting the cut of meat for pork butt:
Low and slow, I get it:  Assuming @ 200 degrees on the controls, what is my average time/pound
I should smoke at least an X pound pork butt?  What is considered small, medium, and large sizes.  I'm looking for something in the medium range..whatever that # is. 

I plan on doing FTC:  I'm planning on taking out of the smoker at 190 IT.  During FTC, how much time, and/or temp rise do I want to happen so I know my threshold?

Thanks! 

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard, from south Texas.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

STLstyle

Welcome from St. Louis Cardinal country!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

classicrockgriller

A good size butt to smoke is around 8 lbs.

Avg temp is 225*. You could go a little higher.

Open the vent wide cause the butt is going to loose
approx 40% of it weight during the smoke process.
(moisture and fat)

Prob 14 to 16 hours. But not all butts are created equal.

FTC will raise the temp 5 to 10 degrees if done right.

The butt will stay HOT 5 plus hours in FTC.

beefmann

SiFumar

wowooo20

Thanks everyone.  I'll keep my other questions focused on other threads.  Appreciate all of the help and support.

Steve. 8)

ragweed

Welcome from Nebraska!  X2 what CRG said on the P. Butts.  Ribs are great too and don't require such a "long and slow".