Few newbie questions

Started by dirt1008, March 15, 2013, 09:26:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirt1008

1: I've heard some people talk about replacing the bowl in the bottom with a foil pan. I'm wondering what size? And how much water do you guys put in it?

2: I also read that some people don't season their new smoker, just wash them out real good at first? Has anybody tried this, or should I just season it like it says in the book?

Any help is greatly appreciated, Dan

classicrockgriller

Yes season your smoker.

Helps knock the shine off and you don't get blinded when you open
the door to have a peak at your smoked goodies. :)

I use a 9x13 disposable cake pan and fill about 1/2 full with hot water.

smoker pete

I'll use a foil pan (start with HOT water) when I'm doing long smokes/cooks like pulled pork or brisket.  I will usually start with the bowl while doing the smoking and then replace the bowl with a half height foil pan.  The exact size escapes me right now but you can measure it real quick.  For all other cooks I usually just use the bowl and I when done smoking I always dump the bowl with the used up pucks and replace it with HOT water.

I don't really know why someone would not season their new smoker!!  You need to burn off all those industrial oils, etc used in the manufacturing process.  When you season your smoker you'll know what I mean when you smell all that stuff burning off ...

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

GusRobin

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 15, 2013, 09:49:13 AM
Yes season your smoker.

Helps knock the shine off and you don't get blinded when you open
the door to have a peak at your smoked goodies. :)

I use a 9x13 disposable cake pan and fill about 1/2 full with hot water.
X2 - except I now use a non-disposable pan.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

beefmann

during the smoking process i use the water bowl provided  until the smoking  process  is over then  switch to a larger bowl or tray that is filled with soda, apple juice, beer or any other beverage other then water, my personal taste

dirt1008

Quote from: beefmann on March 15, 2013, 09:59:39 AM
during the smoking process i use the water bowl provided  until the smoking  process  is over then  switch to a larger bowl or tray that is filled with soda, apple juice, beer or any other beverage other then water, my personal taste
This is what I'm thinking

mikecorn.1

Do you noticed any added flavor to the meat when you add anything other than water in the pan? Thanks in advance :)

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 15, 2013, 12:34:28 PM
Do you noticed any added flavor to the meat when you add anything other than water in the pan? Thanks in advance :)

i can taste the difference

STLstyle

Quote from: beefmann on March 15, 2013, 01:30:06 PM
Quote from: mikecorn.1 on March 15, 2013, 12:34:28 PM

i can taste the difference

I did beer last weekend on my pork butts vs. water.  The Fam said it was best ever.  Don't know if it was the beer but it turned out with great flavor.
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

classicrockgriller

mikecorn.1

Thanks.

Mike

SiFumar

I use 9"x12" non disposible cake pan(cause I be cheap)  I never heard of not seasoning it.