smoked turkey

Started by wiley84, March 15, 2013, 08:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wiley84

I am new to smoking and I got a recipe from Bradley online for smoking a turkey. I am just wanting to know if i should cook it in the smoker the whole time or if i should just smoke it for the 2-4 hours and finish it in the oven. any help would be great. thanks

KyNola

Welcome to the Forum.  The honest answer to your question is that it is all up to you.  You can smoke and cook the turkey 100% in the Bradley.  If time is constrained, smoking in the Bradley and then transferring to the house oven may make more sense as certainly your house oven can get hotter than the Bradley.  Whichever way you choose, be sure the vent on the top of your smoker is 100% open as the turkey will release a lot of moisture that you want to get out of your smoker as quickly as possible.  Moisture that is trapped in the tower will hold the temp down.

Either way, you will be in for a treat.  Let us know how it goes.

mikecorn.1

Welcome aboard, from south Texas.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

wiley84

thanks for the help and for the welcomes. I will defiantly let you all know how it turns out. the snow is melting here in northwest colorado and I just couldn't stand to let the smoker sit in the shed any longer

TedEbear

Quote from: wiley84 on March 15, 2013, 08:17:28 AMam just wanting to know if i should cook it in the smoker the whole time or if i should just smoke it for the 2-4 hours and finish it in the oven. any help would be great. thanks

If you want a crisper skin, smoke it in the Bradley and then finish in the oven.  Poultry done 100% in the Bradley tends to have a slightly rubbery skin.

wiley84

I have to say the turkey turned out amazing. it has amazing flavor and is really juicy. I would put a picture of how it turned out but I don't know how to put one on here.  :)

TedEbear

Quote from: wiley84 on March 15, 2013, 02:35:03 PMI would put a picture of how it turned out but I don't know how to put one on here.  :)

Click here:

How do I add pictures to my posts on the Bradley Smoker Forum?

KyNola

Congratulations! Sounds like your turkey turned out great.

Rad Rich

Turkey is one of my favorite things to smoke. Sounds like yours turned out great. I will buy one of those bone in breasts, smoke it , then breast it and slice in a electric slicer. Best sandwich meat ever.
Smokin is only bad for you when you inhale.

ragweed

X2!  That is now the ONLY way I will cook turkey!