Curious Butt Comment....

Started by Gordo, May 02, 2006, 12:57:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gordo

Had company over last night and we served boston butt, mexican cornbread, broccoli and cheese rice, Olds' candy-ized baked beans, and raw apple cake for desert.

It was a good meal.

Curiously, one of the guests commented that the boston butt tasted like ribs.  Now I know they are the same meat, but I have never thought about how much that is true.  I had run out of rub so I made my own (brown sugar, garlic, onion, pepper - on top of cym), and the same 17 hours later, I had six pounds of boneless ribs!!! :o :P

I think the key may be to use a thick coating of rib rub, so you have a lot of bark....I may have used more brown sugar than normal - but only because I had measured using handfuls of brown sugar....
Gordo
Unskyled laber

Gordo

Gordo
Unskyled laber

MallardWacker

Quote from: Gordo on May 02, 2006, 12:57:38 PM
Had company over last night and we served Boston butt, Mexican cornbread, broccoli and cheese rice, Olds' candy-ized baked beans, and raw apple cake for desert.

It was a good meal.

Now that was spoken by a humble man...No it was probably so good there wasn't any left and your comment was greatly under stated.

I do smoked chicken thighs-finished on the grill with my "bean & cake" combo.

Quote from: Gordo on May 02, 2006, 12:57:38 PM
Curiously, one of the guests commented that the Boston butt tasted like ribs.  Now I know they are the same meat, but I have never thought about how much that is true.  I had run out of rub so I made my own (brown sugar, garlic, onion, pepper - on top of cym), and the same 17 hours later, I had six pounds of boneless ribs!!! :o :P

I think the key may be to use a thick coating of rib rub, so you have a lot of bark....I may have used more brown sugar than normal - but only because I had measured using handfuls of brown sugar....

Hay hay..don't hold back tell us the recipe if you remember...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Gordo

I wish there was a recipe.  It is a lot like this...hmmm...that looks like enough brown sugar....that looks like enough garlic....what else....ooh! onion powder....fresh cracked pepper......I guess that is it.   Make sure you have a good coating.  Slather it up with Cheap Yellow Mustard (cym) first, then rub, and into the smoker.

Now, I do not "shred" the pork.  I pull it apart of course, but I have larger pieces than shredding.  I like it that way...the pork dries out if you shred it, freeze it, then reheat it.  With just me and my wife, the better part of the pork gets vacuum sealed and frozen.  If it is in larger "chunks," it reheats better.  Even if you go the cheatin route and use the microwave.  The wife does not use BBQ sauce with mine, because she like the flavor that much.  Those larger chunks, if they have bark on at least one side, are just like ribs.  Really tender, good bark, no bones...how can you go wrong?

This may be the reason I almost spit out Sonny's ribs last week

Gordo
Unskyled laber

MallardWacker

Gordo...thanks.   I have to be poll judge on the upcoming primary and I thought I would bring down a butt for lunch for all the workers, I think I will try that.

Also you from MS?  I saw you got some of the images from the MS game & fish site...you be hunt' much down there?  We have a good amount of business out of that neck of the woods.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Gordo

never been duck hunting, but I did kill a lot good eight point this last year.  Sorta buddy has a good duck hole, but you have to know someone to duck hunt.  Public land is like going to the DMV...people standing everywhere.  I've done some turkey hunting, but only bagged quality woods time....and some ticks.... >:(

Byram MS -- Just outside of Jackson.  What kind of work do you do?
Gordo
Unskyled laber

MallardWacker

I KNOW exactly where you are, went there to look at a vehicle, just spent 3 days between Vicksburg and Jackson and vicinity.  I think Byrum is where a large wrecker company is I visited along with AAA Cooper Trucking, it was down behind the drivers licence station and all the crappy construction area.  You had a big pile up there a few weeks ago, 4 trucks-5 trailers-4 vehicles, on I-20 just east of Vicksburg killing a few folks.  Very Bad, kids the whole nine yards.  I'm into accident reconstruction, mainly defense work for Insurance and Construction companies.

And you?

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

Gordo

There was a car carrying three boys in that accident.  The one that made it out alive is a church member at my church.  Sorta Buddy's hunting spot is just north of Vicksburg on 61.  After you cross over the river there is a levy on the right.  You can see the paper mill way back there on the Yazoo river.   You take the levy a little more than 7 miles and run into the deer camp.  They trapped one of the state's few black bears nearby and you can sometimes find tracks out there.  This time of year the mosquitos, ticks, and red bugs are having a good ol' time out there.  Not to mention the blackflies.
Gordo
Unskyled laber

Oldman

QuoteThis time of year the mosquitos, ticks, and red bugs are having a good ol' time out there.  Not to mention the blackflies
Not to jack this thread to far, but have you ever seen saltwater "no seem ems"? They are just too small to see. They will fly right through normal house screens. Looked at one under a scope I would guess it was 75% teeth. Near sun down they come out and there is so many of them that it looks like a blackish cloud moving towards you. God help you if you have no protection. I have seen people litterly dive into the water in effort to get away from them.

The normal bug stuff does not stop them. The only thing I ever found that would keep them off of you is Avon's Skin So Soft.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

Avon's Skin So Soft doesn't seem to work on "no-see-ums" up here, but it is great for repelling mosquitoes. The only thing that seems to work on the "no-see-ums" in this area is a repellent with a high deet concentrate, or just stay out of the woods.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Gordo

I have only seen them ( or not seen them) when I went to boot camp in Cape May, NJ. (Coast Guard) In Michigan the chiggers are in the water.  They call them "swimmers itch."  You get them in the woods here and they call them "redbugs"  and chiggers too.  The blackflies make you wish you had not gone fishing.  Ticks always ruin you day after you get out of the woods and now they carry lime disease.  Skeeters you can fool with enough deet - or if you use the Thermacell.  If you have not found that one, it is worth looking into for skeeters cuz they carry West Nile.  Of course there are always the horse/deer flies.  Those chew straight through your shirt.
Gordo
Unskyled laber