Smoking Ribs

Started by Javaguy, May 15, 2006, 06:49:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Javaguy

Well, I've cooked 4 different meat items so far and they have all came out better than most BBQ joints I've been to.  I'm a happy camper.

I smoked 10 pds of spare ribs and decided I will only smoke Baby Backs from now on.  The SP's came out great, but they are not quite as good a BB's.  I also used the FTC for the first time and got to say that it's a good idea and am wondering who thought of it.  I had never heard of it until I started reading this forum.  They were in the BS for about 4 1/2 hours (meat temp got to 190) and then FTC'd them about 1 hour. 

I used a little hickory(2 bisquettes) and the rest were pecan (9 bisquettes)  for the smoke and don't think I will use pecan for pork any more.  It has a different flavor that was good, but I liked the flavor of oak/hickory on the BB's and brisket I cooked better.  I am going to try the pecan on chicken and see how it comes out. I learned not to use only Hickory on chicken, got luckey and didn't smoke it too long, but the smoke flavor was border line on being too strong. 

I never realized how different the flavor is between the different types of wood - so I'm going to keep experimenting to learn which ones I like with each type of meat I smoke.   

The brisket I smoked was my first brisket ever and it came out soooo good - used oak/hickory on it and a light rub.  Will be cooking more of them for sure.

I don't cook anything without reviewing the forum first - just want to say I appreciate you guys posting your results and offering up suggestions.  By using the forum, I have not ruined any thing I cooked and owe it to the ideas and results the experienced smokers have posted.

I never realized BBQ'g could be so much fun - it's really great to cook something that turns out so good with so little work. 

MallardWacker

Man of Java,

Dang you've been hard at it.  Don't give up on the spares, you can make them taste better...it took me while.  Good to hear that you having so much fun...I can guarantee you you wouldn't be having as much fun if you were doing it on another type smoker, IMHO.

Here is the history of FTC on this forum...Look for my first post.
Where it came from>>>http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=72.0

Where it was named>>>http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=1964.0

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

iceman

Glad to hear your having fun Java. I think your right on the money about all the help this forum is. Two thumbs up to everyone here. :)

icerat4

Baby backs are the best IMO. ;D use the apple juice too its nice fall off the bone stuff.

Javaguy

Hey MW,
I have tried other types of smokers and had little or no success - just too much work and the results were never what I expected.  My son has one of my old smokers and he loves it - likes playing with fire!  Cooks pretty good on it, but I'm already getting better results than he does and I'm just getting started.

I almost fell off my chair when I got my first taste of the first brisket I had ever cooked - it was sooo good I couldn't hardly believe it and I know they will just get better.  Never thought I would actually be able to BBQ great food.  Thanks to the BS and the guys on this forum.  Being able to smoke good BBQ and roast good coffee - man-o-man, am I living!!!!

Icerat4 - I did use apple juice with the FTC on the spare ribs - man, that stuff works like magic.

Thanks again,
JavaGuy

owrstrich

texas style brisket is was got me hooked... i knew i would never have one of those trailer smokers like my friend in dallas who introduced me to brisket...

i have never duplicated that first brisket from the infield at texas motor speedway... but i have been chasing it ever since...

i dig the bradely... go for some of those bacen wrapped checken cheeze rolls... heres the link...

http://susan.rminor.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Oldman

Javaguy welcome to the forums.  I agree about the brisket. 6.5 pounds takes around 14 hours for me but man o man is it ever worth the wait.

Do check out our recipe site. There are tons of time tested recipes there.

Looking forward to your next posting.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Javaguy

Hey, just noticed, my cooking time on the SP's was 6 1/2 hours, not 4 1/2 - my fingers failed me and typed in the wrong number!!  My idiot eyes missed the misstake too!!

Owrstrich, that bacon wrapped chicken is something I've got to try, thanks for the link.

JavaGuy