Smoking Salmon Temperature problems

Started by strahan320, April 26, 2013, 02:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strahan320

Hi all, I am new to the smoking, got the digital 4 rack and am smoking salmon for first time.

The recipe I picked calls for 100, then 140 then 170.

For the first step, just the smoke generator was enough to get the 100, but then to get 140, I am setting at 120 and it still goes over the 140, so I got some of the coagulation white. Not that big of a deal but, wondering if I should be able to have stable temp at 140, with door staying closed, vent is full open.

I am in Canada, so outdoor temp is not an issue yet.

Gona be doing some chicken Sunday if I am doing something wrong, would be better to figure it out now. And if the unit has a problem, I will get it changed, but I already love it from the ribs it gave me yesterday :)

Thanks

smoker pete

Get yourself an Auber PID to control the temp

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

KyNola

The Bradley smokers have temp swings just as you described.  So does your house oven.  Some sort of temperature control device such as an Auber PID or a BBQ Guru DigiQ with a Power Raptor will hold the temps tighter.  Before you spend the money for either one ask yourself if you are going to be smoking a lot of salmon or sausages.  If the answer is yes then a temp control device is warranted.  If you are rarely going to be doing fish or sausages, the price of the temp control devices "may" not be warranted.  It all depends on just how much food you will be smoking.