Burnt bacon

Started by Racer17, March 18, 2013, 05:48:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Racer17

After smoking pig candy 5 different times very successfully I might add with the help of you guys I had 1 hell of a fire in my smoker last night, scared the $hit out of me. Thank god I read a post on this forum on what to do when a fire erupts. Nothing hurt but the bacon and my pride. Not to worry I'll clean er up and thaw out some more bacon.  >:(

squirtthecat

It can happen...    Do you remember what might have caused it?  (grease down the back into the element, plugged V-tray, etc.)

hal4uk

Sorry to hear that, Racer...

When you mix animal fat with fire, that's always a possibility.
Most folks here have never had that happen, and some even run their smoker in their GARAGE -- ATTACHED TO THEIR HOUSE.

But, I don't recommend it...
(Racer... get ready to see me smacked down for urging CAUTION)

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Not fun when it happens.

You pride will heal. Glad everything else is OK.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: classicrockgriller on March 18, 2013, 07:12:17 PM
Not fun when it happens.

You pride will heal. Glad everything else is OK.
Yeah glad to hear everything is still good to go
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Racer17

Checked the smoker after I posted and looks fine just alot of cleanup. It looks like juice got on the heat element and ignited. Don't know why this time and no other time. A little bad luck I guess. I will have a pitcher of waterright close from now on. Maybe just do 1 1/2 # from and try that. Thanks for the pick-me ups. hal4uk that is one scary pic. Mine was not that bad thank the lord.

GusRobin

Did you have the v tray free of any obstruction (foil)? was there enough water in the water bowl?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

Glad you and your family are ok, Thanks for telling your story and reminding us all to use caution with any smoker.

Habanero Smoker

I'm glad to read the fire did no damage. Was any meat resting against the back wall?

A fire extinguisher would be better, if you throw a picture of water on it, you will spread the grease fire and lightly cause an electrical one also. The best thing, if you suspect a fire DO NOT open the door, it will just feed the fire with more oxygen. Unplug it, and through a blanket over the smoker, making sure the top vent and the side vents of the generator are covered.
When You Suspect a Bradley Fire

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Racer17

There was nothing in the way of the heat gen. The water bowl had plenty of hot water. What I don't understand is I was only about 1/2 hr into it with the box at 140 degrees which was cooler than last couple times because I burnt a few down low in the back. The V tray was in as it should be. Got more bacon for this weekend and we'll try it again. If there is anything else anybody can think of let me know. Again thanks fellow smokers. And I agree a fire extinguisher would be better.