scared to smoke chicken

Started by the_batman_, March 12, 2013, 01:47:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmoney

I cold smoked a chicken the other day and it worked out just fine. I put a brined, butter and herb rubbed chicken in the Bradley with a couple of trays full of ice and snow, and smoked it for about an hour and a half until the temperature in the smoker was starting to approach 70°F. I then popped it into the oven to finish. Came out great with

Mind you, it was about 25°F out that day, so that didn't hurt things.

If you are going to cold smoke, you need 1 1/2 to 2 hours at fridge-like temperatures, as cold as you can get it.

If you can only get it up to 201 and you are not in a cold climate, then you have some kind of other issue.

Habanero Smoker

Though the Bradley temperature sensors are not the most accurate, I would contact Bradley to see if your sensor may be faulty. Also if you used a dial type of oven thermometer, those are not the most accurate to go by.

When cold smoking, you must keep in mind that there is a point at which in a colder environment the ability for smoke to penetrate and/or adhere diminishes. If your chicken was handled properly, you can safely move it from the refrigerator to the smoker and cold smoke around 70°F for 1.5 - 2 hours.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

DeeDubz - Smokin Bro #1

I bought my maverick at Halford's out of Edmonton, They ship in Canada for sure and have an very extensive selection in the catalogue they mail out. Website is ok, phone worked better for me.

JZ

I found mine on Amazon.ca and it was on sale for $59.99 with free shipping. Can't recall the store though.