Heating Element No Glow - Help

Started by owrstrich, June 29, 2004, 05:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

i got my smoker yesterday and seasoned it twice for 2 hours at 150 deg...

today i preheated to 200 deg... it took about 3/4 hr to get it to 200...

i loaded the brisket and maintained 200 deg for 1 hr then the temp went down to 150 deg...

the dial thermometer and my digitial thermometer were both reading the same temp 150 temp at this point...

i continued to smoke at 150 until the brisket reached 145 deg... which was 7 hours with a 8 lb brisket at 150... then i put it in the oven to finish it off because of the low heat in the smoker...

i have the smoker and the smoke box plugged directly into an isolated circuit... both power lights are on... the smoke generator is working fine... just no glow regardless of the temp setting...

i even took the cover off the element and made sure the wires were attached... all is well just no glow...

any ideas...
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

Bassman

Owrstrich,
make sure the heating bulb is firmly in place.It sounds like you checked everything. If it is It's time to call Bradley customer service. I'm thinking either a bad bulb(unlikely) or a defective temp control board(on front under door with slider switch attached).Either way,time to call Bradley. They are very good at responding,I had to call them twice. Once for a defective smoke generator then again for the temp control board.Had new parts in 2 days. Good luck and welcome to the forum.[:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

owrstrich

thanks... im gonna call them...

i read about the temp controls so i took mine off and bypassed it sending 120 to the element... no glow...

i dont have an electric meter or a circuit tester here so i gotts to think its the bulb...

btw... i wrapped the brisket in foil and put it in a cooler at 3am last night... it was breakfest at 9am this morning... it was still warm and came out very good for a botched first attempt...

calling bradley in 10 min..

owrstrich

bradley insisted that the temperature control must have been damaged by moisture... to the point of asking me repeatedly if i spilled juice on the front on the unit...

anyway... dhl arrived at 9am the next day with a new temperature controller... i put it on and still no glow...

after talking with bradley again they agreeed to se3nd a new heating element which arrived the next day but dhl didnt leave it beacuse no one was home and now awaiting july 6th delivery of the new heating element...

i was supposed to spend these two weeks in iowa as vacation smoking meat and relaxing before the family reunion and before dragging the smoker back to california where we are presently working...

im still hoping smoked meat for the reunion... but now with little practice...

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />i got my smoker yesterday and seasoned it twice for 2 hours at 150 deg...

i loaded the brisket and maintained 200 deg for 1 hr then the temp went down to 150 deg...

the dial thermometer and my digitial thermometer were both reading the same temp 150 temp at this point...

i continued to smoke at 150 until the brisket reached 145 deg... which was 7 hours with a 8 lb brisket at 150... then i put it in the oven to finish it off because of the low heat in the smoker...

i have the smoker and the smoke box plugged directly into an isolated circuit... both power lights are on... the smoke generator is working fine... just no glow regardless of the temp setting...

i even took the cover off the element and made sure the wires were attached... all is well just no glow...

any ideas...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

BigRED

BigRed

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by owrstrich</i>
<br />i got my smoker yesterday and seasoned it twice for 2 hours at 150 deg...

OWRSTRICH,

THE FIRST BS I RECEIVED HAD A SIMILAR PROBLEM BECAUSE THE HEATING ELEMENT WAS CRACKED. THE DEALER IN AUSTIN, TX I PURCHASED THE BS FROM REPLACED IT. NOW I SEEM TO HAVE THE TEMP.CONTROL ISSUE WHERE I CAN'T GET THE TEMP. DOWN TO 180 TO 200 DEGREES WTIH OUT IT TURNING OFF. AM CALLING BRADLEY TOMORROW A.M.! SOME OF THE FELLOWS ON THIS FOURM ARE REALLY AWESOME WITH THEIR ADVISE. I AM BOUNDED AND DERTERMINED TO MAKE THIS THING WORK!!!!

SMOKED HAMBURGERS IN THE BS WITH HICKORY FOR ABOUT 1 HOUR THEM FINISHED THEM ON THE WEBER FOR THE 4TH. AWESOME BURGERS!!

any ideas...

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

BigRED

owrstrich

ok boys...

dhl arrived with the new heathing element at 8am tues...

i gotts glow...

unpacked the picknic shoulder i got when the smoker arrived 2 weeks ago and of course it was bad...

being an hour from the closest market with limited choices... i got a 10 pound pork loin and cut it in half and smoked both halves for 6 hours at 200 to a internal temp of 160... wrapped it up until slightly warm to touch and served for dinner...

i know pork loin is for grilling and shoulder is for smoking but it turned out moist and tasty with about 1/4 inch smoke ring at the top tapering off to 1/8 inch ring at the bottom...

i appplied small amount of bbq sauce on the side and all is good...

the butcher at the market ordered me a shoulder and a brisquet which is to be available for pick up tomorrow afternoon...

more later...

owrstrich