2 x 3lb chickens

Started by BCSmoker, March 22, 2013, 07:37:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BCSmoker

Alrighty then, complete NOOB here...

I have tow 3 pound chickens. I want to smoke them on my newly seasoned DBS4. I have read many a discussion, but would appreciate your input. Most say 250, half smoke time, for 3 hours (ish)...until internal breast tempo is 160. The only bisquettes I have are Alder. Is this OK?, or should I go get Apple? I would like to have a fairly "crispy" skin if possible.
Thanking you all i n advance  :)
Have a smokin' weekend everone!

viper125

225-250°would be fine. 3 hours? Who knows its done when its done and 2 will take longer. With smoked chicken i go till breast is about 165-170.  Do a light rub with olive oil, rub with your favorite rub and like to use to say smoke what you got! Alder is fine. Apple cherry is wifes favorites. But me Hickory all the way! Post pics.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

viper125

Of you want crispy pull sooner and finish in th oven at 375°

Inside setup.

Grouperman941

Quote from: BCSmoker on March 22, 2013, 07:37:21 PM
Alrighty then, complete NOOB here...

I have tow 3 pound chickens. I want to smoke them on my newly seasoned DBS4. I have read many a discussion, but would appreciate your input. Most say 250, half smoke time, for 3 hours (ish)...until internal breast tempo is 160. The only bisquettes I have are Alder. Is this OK?, or should I go get Apple? I would like to have a fairly "crispy" skin if possible.
Thanking you all i n advance  :)
Have a smokin' weekend everone!

Crispy skin won't happen, but you can get it edible. For true crispy, you need to finish it with high heat (grill, broiler etc.).

Trying the alder can't hurt -- you never know until you try.

Smoke really hot with wide open vent. I just keep chicken on HIGH.  I'd smoke 3 hours, but I really like smoke flavor, esp on chicken. If you're worried about too smoky, do less.

The important part is the IT. It has to be 160+. I check thighs and breasts.

I like to let it sit in foil for a while to finish cooking once I hit the IT. I think this lets the smoke settle in and distributes the juices. I'd grill to crisp skin after that.

I'd open the chicken up (spatchcock) but this is not necessary. You can also stand it up whole or quarter it.

I let the chicken sit out at room temp about 30 minutes after seasoning to try and get the temp of the bones up a bit. If the bones are cold, they'll stay red even after the meat is 160.

Chicken is easy -- you can stay simple or get creative. Just make sure it's fully cooked.

I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?

GusRobin

you may have to toss it on the grill for the last 5 -10 minutes to get a crispy skin.  Also, keep your vent wide open - poultry lets off a lot of moisture.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

BCSmoker

Responses are greatly appreciated! Ill definitely spatchcock...love the presentation and carving for eats!
NOt too worried about the skin, though I have to say I do love it. I like the suggestion to finish on the grill...charcoal and open flame.
MAN I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!

viper125

Ahh! What do you mean vent wide open??? Some one here actually uses it? Mines been open since my first smoke. See no sense in moving it at all. Hmmm.

Inside setup.

GusRobin

Quote from: viper125 on March 22, 2013, 09:15:37 PM
Ahh! What do you mean vent wide open??? Some one here actually uses it? Mines been open since my first smoke. See no sense in moving it at all. Hmmm.

I don't think mine will even move from the open position. But there are some doubters out there. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Well I was one. After using about anything possible including other smokers ,cardboard boxes,oil drums, refrigerators i always thought they were important. But the Bradley with two element is still nothing more then 2- 500 watt bulbs seems with that Little heat and slow cooking vents do little to no good. In fact I found closing the vent prevents moisture escape. which is very important especially in a low heat smoker. As if the moisture cant escape the warm air can't get hot. Well also add a water pan. This I found helped in a hotter smoker.  B ut in the Bradley it basically only serves two major purposes to catch grease and put out pucks. Sure its possible maybe to get a light seasoning flavor from the water maybe... If this was so Ithink we wood also get the arid ,burnt flavor for the pucks in the water so I doubt it. More likely a waste of good beer. And really when I add my meat all the flavor except the smoke taste should be there. So for me I have never seen a use in the bradley for it And never will now as my setup is in the garage and working supreme without it. Why use it. You don't fix things that aren't broken. When I use alternative smoking things, I use the bowl to catch drippings and rarely add water. Depends on what im smoking. And about the alternative Ido like it. But both have their own places and I like the pucks also!

Inside setup.