POP up timers

Started by icerat4, May 04, 2006, 07:59:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

icerat4

Hey do any of guys here ever use these pop up timers in turkey chicken etc.I was just wondering if ya did how they worked out for ya.

iceman

My advice Rat would be to steer clear of a "pop up timer". Tests we did with them at CISC showed up to a 20 degree variance and they all popped way beyond the safe cooking temps. The manufacturer told us that they are made to protect even the first time cook from messing up. They work with a spring loaded button that is held in place with a temperature sensitive epoxy that turns to goo at a predetermined temp. and lets the button pop up. Just my opinion.

icerat4

I dont use these i just thought i would bring it up.I am a et-73 guy. ;D

zhongyi

If my Good Eats memory is correct, the epoxy in the pop up timers melts at about 180 degrees, which is way to high for white meat.

gary_CO

One thing I've really been dissappointed with the ET-73 is its apparent lack of warning when it loses its signal. This is unnerving to me. With slow smoking, change takes me awhile. And I never know. Maybe I just haven't figured it out yet. But I think its a design weakness. ...Like posting it here will make it difference, lol.