Ham #3 - Prosciutto style dry cured

Started by ExpatCanadian, March 24, 2013, 12:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

destrouk

Habanero Smoker

Looks like you are getting great results.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wkahler

Where did you hang it at?  This is a goal of mine one day to start one of these but i need to get some things in order first, like a hanging place and patience LOL!
The smoking lamp is lit!!!

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: wkahler on May 12, 2013, 08:51:22 AM
Where did you hang it at?  This is a goal of mine one day to start one of these but i need to get some things in order first, like a hanging place and patience LOL!

It's just hanging in an unheated conservatory.  The UK climate is reasonably humid, and the weather has been cool enough to not worry about.  We also don't have too much of a problem with flying critters, so not worried about that either.  If we get a spell of hot weather, I do have a curing cabinet to hang it in....

Jaunty

Hi ExPAtCanadian
Found your lamb thread as I am just about to shove one in my Bradley, then checked out your other posts as you buy from the Ginger Pig which I often do as well, then found this thread...

We have had a decent summer, where have you been hanging you prosciutto style leg as the conservatory must have got  bit too warm?? You mentioned a curing cabinet, did you make it yourself? Been meaning to try a large dried ham, I think I will give it a go as we head in to autumn.

Sean in E7

ExpatCanadian

Hi Sean in E7....!  I'm in E9...  not far from you.  Sorry for the delayed reply...  I only check in here every so often these days, so I probably miss loads of stuff.

You are very right, our decent summer had the downside of being a bit too warm for the ham....  so I hung it up for a month or so in my wine fridge, set to 12oC.  This was ok, but then I ran into a humidity problem...  and the sugno started to get fuzzy with mold. I ended up washing the sugno off before the mold could penetrate to the meat, then I re-applied fresh stuff, this time with some black pepper mixed in.

Mold!  Even though it looks black, it's actually dark green.  This is only on the surface of the sugno, not into the meat, so I felt safe washing it off.

Reapplied fresh sugno, the black is the pepper, not the mold:

Tenpoint5

I would love to try this but I don't think I could wait this long!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

rveal23

Wow, this is awesome.. to be continued!
* DBS w/ 900watt Mod
* Webber Kettle Grill
* Hybrid Grill

Saber 4

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on September 17, 2013, 07:24:24 AM
Hi Sean in E7....!  I'm in E9...  not far from you.  Sorry for the delayed reply...  I only check in here every so often these days, so I probably miss loads of stuff.

Ok never having been to the UK my curiosity is getting to me so I have to ask what does E7 & E9 refer to in terms a simple Texan can relate to?

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: Saber 4 on September 18, 2013, 08:56:57 AM
Quote from: ExpatCanadian on September 17, 2013, 07:24:24 AM

Ok never having been to the UK my curiosity is getting to me so I have to ask what does E7 & E9 refer to in terms a simple Texan can relate to?

Its the postcode area.  Our post codes are 2 part...  the first is the general area, and E9 refers to London, East 9. The second part narrows it down to a much more specific area, often to just a few or even a single address.  It's kind of neat actually, as unlike the USA or Canada where post and zip codes cover very large areas, our codes are specific enough that even Sat Navs use them for routing.  Usually you can simply enter the post code and the house number and this is enough.  Heres what Greater London looks like from a postcode point of view:

If you're interested beyond the above...  then fill yer boots: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postcodes_in_the_United_Kingdom

Saber 4

Thanks that is a simple system and you guy's really are pretty close to each other, I can see the start of a UK Smokeout with as many of you guy's are in the area.

ExpatCanadian

Quote from: ExpatCanadian on May 13, 2013, 06:02:14 AM
Quote from: wkahler on May 12, 2013, 08:51:22 AM

It's just hanging in an unheated conservatory.  The UK climate is reasonably humid, and the weather has been cool enough to not worry about.  We also don't have too much of a problem with flying critters, so not worried about that either.  If we get a spell of hot weather, I do have a curing cabinet to hang it in....

So....  little update.  It would seem the last few weeks of rainy cool weather here in Blightly has caused the environment in my conservatory to cross some threshold and similar to the few weeks the ham spent in my wine fridge in the heat of the summer, mold has decided to start forming again.  So... I've decided at this point my kitchen might be the best place for this ham to finish it's aging!  Only a couple more months to go.  Only problem is, I can't really clean off the moldy sugno just yet...  as I used the last of my lard to make pastry for pumpkin pies for thanksgiving a few weeks back (Canadian!).  What do you all think....  should I just leave it be...  or make an effort to render some more lard to replace this moldy sugno?

Its not smoky in my kitchen...  although, not a bad idea  :)  Just the bright lights on my phone lens....

The black spots are black pepper...  the mold is green and white and fuzzy....

Even the skin is getting a little dusting of mold....

Habanero Smoker

I have seen country hams with a lot more mold then that. Looks like it is coming a long really good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dano

Still looks good... I have heard of the mold forming and I don't think it's much of a problem if it doesn't permeate the meat.  How's this project going anyways?  Do you have an ETA yet, eh?  ;) (yah, Canadian here)
Proud member of PETA:  People Eating Tasty Animals.  :)

ExpatCanadian

Ok folks here we go.  It's been a long time coming...  and it's kind of like "How long is a piece of string...??"But tonight I just finally said you know what...  it's ready to go....

...................so......  without further ado.....  here we go.....

It smells AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know how to keep this good now that I've cut into it? I was thinking I might cut it into chunks, vac seal and either freeze or simply keep in a cool place.  But, fact is, I know I won't be able to eat it all very quickly, so it needs to be protected in some way I guess...